Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to add more pictures? (Steve is fixing the image settings on the site right now)

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by reggiecab2000, Jul 4, 2011.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i only have about 2 pictures in my profile and the other 7 or so are pictures i have added to threads. i am pretty much up to my limit and cant add photos to threads anymore...
    anyone know how i can free up space? how do some people have over 30 pictures? and i see the option to delete all my attachments, but wouldnt that delete them from the threads as well?
    thanks
  2. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Well really, you have a couple of choices here. In my opinion, the best option is to use a third party image hosting website like photobucket.com. Once you set yourself up with a free account (which is a quick and easy process), you can upload all of the photos you want. You'll have an album full of photos on the site and each photo will have a specific "" code that you can copy and paste into any thread on this (or any other forum). Many site administrators don't think too highly of this process because, similarly to your previously stated concern, if a user ever deletes the photos on photobucket, they will no longer show up on the forum (there will just be a giant red 'x' usually). So, I recommend that you never delete, move, or rename those photos once they're uploaded (which is no big deal).

Another option would be for you to delete the pictures that you currently have uploaded here at GMTC and resize all of your pictures so that they are smaller in appearance and also in data size. Then you should be able to upload more without reaching your maximum allowed photo allotment so quickly.
  3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Photobucket.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

ok, let me take a look at this and see what's going on. We should have a lot of space for everyone to host pictures up here. Photobucket is nice, but if you close down your account or move the photos - then we have big red "X"'s all over the website here. Plus, I'd rather have Google scan this website and see an awesome photo with the phrase "Chevy Truck" or whatever on it.

Let's see what we've got here.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Ok, It looks like there are several things going on.

First off, it looks like the auto-resizer is not working. So images that would have been 50k and being stored at 2000k.

We need to up the total file-size allotment for photos.
    We need to increase the total number of attachments per post.
    Need to look at all of the other photo stuff on the site and make certain it's working properly.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

It looks like the file size limits for .JPG were removed, so it allowed all of the massive JPG files to be uploaded and displayed inline as well. I would imagine that most of the photos being uploaded are JPG (not JPEG). Everything else should be properly resized down.

Let me try to run this thumbnail creator and see what it comes up with.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I am about to resize all of the images on the histor of the website and make new thumbnails. If it can run in the background and not kill the service, I'll let it run, otherwise I will see if the web host can do this, otherwise I will do it tonight late and let it run at like midnight.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

LOL, I just found a tool in the backend that shows how much space is being used. SORRY, my bad. I guess the JPG images have been taking up a lot of space for a long time. The top five users with photos attached on this site take up over 100 MB of space on the server. For the number of files on here for them, that should be something like 20 MB.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

It's rebuilding the thumbnails right now. If there is a slowdown (does not appear to be one) then I will stop the process.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Just some facts on the number of photos on the system.

Unique / Total Attachments 22,096 / 19,958
    Attachment Filesize Sum 1.37 GB
    Disk Space Used 1.24 GB
    Average Attachment Filesize 65.1 KB
    Total Downloads 1,646,666
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok, we are making some changes to this right now.