1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to adjust park brake ~ 2004 GMC Yukon

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by wwilkens, Dec 18, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. wwilkens

wwilkens New Member

I recently bought an '04 GMC Yukon XL. The driver's brakes work fine but the park brake goes all the way to the floor. I'm familiar with older style brakes and for those the park brake cables could be adjusted. Is that still possible with these?
    Thanks,
    Wes
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it has drums then just back up and tap the brakes a couple times that should reset them, I'm not sure about disks tho.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'll be Conlan's wing-man on this thread. If you have disks, most trucks require that the rotor be removed and the parking shoe adjusted so that the rotor jams when going back on, the adjustment is then backed off a little to let the rotor go on without drag.
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Nothing has changed, really -- there's a cable and you can adjust it.

Your Yukon has the combined rear discs and drums with the tophat-shaped rotors. Discs for the regular brake, little drum brakes for the parking brake. I believe there are star wheel adjusters for the drums.

I'm going to be taking my rear brakes apart on my 2004 in the next couple of weeks and am more or less planning on replacing all the parking brake components -- cables, shoes, hardware -- while I'm at it.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes, there is a star adjuster in there. I suggest that you pull the brakes apart and have a look. The shoes may be worn. They are really easy to change after you get the drum/rotor off. There is one bolt that goes thru a hold down and that is it. I have seen many that just need adjusted. I usually adjust the star adjuster, I take the drum off, adjust it out, put it back on and check it. You really don't need them to drag like the old style drum brakes. They are just a parking brake so constant contact or super tight clearances are not necessary. Alternatively, you can adjust the cable. But, I prefer to take it apart so I know what is going on inside.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, there is a star adjuster in there. I suggest that you pull the brakes apart and have a look. The shoes may be worn. They are really easy to change after you get the drum/rotor off. There is one bolt that goes thru a hold down and that is it. I have seen many that just need adjusted. I usually adjust the star adjuster, I take the drum off, adjust it out, put it back on and check it. You really don't need them to drag like the old style drum brakes. They are just a parking brake so constant contact or super tight clearances are not necessary. Alternatively, you can adjust the cable. But, I prefer to take it apart so I know what is going on inside.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Pikey, how did you do that?........................................trying to up the post count :rofl::rofl: