1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to beat a laser speeding ticket

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Feb 2, 2008.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

http://www.danielcurran.com/2004/03/how-to-beat-laser-gun-speeding-ticket.php

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's pretty interesting.
    A good friend of mine is a Sherriff's Deputy in the Portland, Oregon area and I went on a ride along with him last fall. After his reuglar shift we were to patrol a stretch of the Interstate that was a construction zone. From one overpass in particular we kept nailing people going over 70 in the 50mph constuction zone. He let me target several cars with his lazer gun and it was pretty pretty cut and dry when you had a lock on vehicles because of the beeping tone while accuiring and then to solid when it was locked on the vehicle you were aiming at. We issued several tickets that night.
  3. ChevyFan

I think that laser, if it's calibrated properly, works in theory.

However, when changing lanes it throws everything out of whack becuase the laser gun can't acount for angular velocity. That is, I was moving forward and sideways at the same time, thereby shortening the wavelength going back to the receiving unit and giving a higher reading which is in excess of actual speed.
  4. diddy0071

diddy0071 New Member

I don't think that's correct

The whole "is the gun calibrated" and "How much training did the officer have with the gun" is no longer allowed in court by the judge, trust me, I tried. I did however beat my ticket ( in California) by providing information that disproved the claim of an officer.

For starters, a gun must be pointed directly at the object in question. The object must be within a clear visible angle, and there must not be obstructions. A gun must be aimed directly at the object. A gun can work up to a mile away. So get information about the road you are on. In my case the road was a hilly, curvy, winding path, in which a cop could never have gotten a direct aim any more than 300 yards away. Given that the officer is no longer allowed to issue a speeding ticket based on the claim "it looked to me that he was speeding", he must now have evidence through a speeding gun, the officer couldn't have been more than 300 yards away from me before initiating the radar gun on my vehicle.

Obviously any vehicle is visible within 300 yards away, and especially a police vehicle. The officer claimed I was going 80 mph. In order for him to be near enough to me to calculate that speed, he would have had to been going similar, or faster than I was. Given the condition of the road, it would have been impossible for him to have been going faster than 80 (believe me, it is a terrible road), and he would still have had to been near enough to me to use the gun.

He claimed to have seen me 3 miles away, and sped up to catch up to me. impossible for the radar gun to see me, impossible for him to catch up to me within the 5 miles distance I traveled from where he stopped me and where he claimed to have seen me (given his speed of excess of 100+ mph he claimed to have been going) And he was unclear as to the condition of the weather that day (it was a slight drizzle). needless to say, I won the case, he was mad, but hey I proved him wrong. Cops exagerate alot in court. It's your job to disprove them by catching them in a lie.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  5. black jack

black jack Rockstar 100 Posts

Has anyone heard of Rocky Mountain Radar . They have a radar gun that is suppose to block the signalof radar and laser guns. Now the big ? is does it do what they say or just saying it does.
  6. ChevyFan

I have heard of devices that claim to be able to track laser guns, but I don't know how that's possible ... seriously. The laser is a 3 to 4 foot wide beam of light energy, I'm not sure how they can pick that up. It would be like picking up the light from your refridgerator and not picking up the light from your oven. Unless there is a special wavelength range that all laser guns reside in ... that's possible I suppose.
  7. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

easiest way to beat any ticket........ have donuts in the car at all times :)
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There are radare detectors that can detect laser radar systems, and some can even confuse/jam them. Laser radar or LIDAR resides is a certain light band, I believe it's infrared but I'm not sure. However, all this is pretty useless in application because of the whole method that you have to use to operated a laser gun. The officer would have you targeted in the "scope", so he knows exactly who to blame...
  9. TomsHHR

TomsHHR Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

most lazer beams are less than a 1/4 in diameter and the same size the entire length of the beam, they do not grow.

Disclamer, unless all the lazer pointers I use are not the same.
  10. ChevyFan

From what I have read, the laser waves that come out of a laser gun do so at a fraction of one degree, so the light will spead out over distance. It's not the same as a laser pointer device ... but even that will spread out over something crazy like 10 miles.