How to Black out front bumper and grill with strip ?!?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by SilverSteve, Aug 4, 2010.

1. SilverSteve

SilverSteve New Member

Anyone ever do this to their trucks ? the chroms and plasti on hte fron bumper is killing me. Im going for the silverado SS look with how everything is black. Has anyone done this to their trucks ??

2. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

If you're talking about taking the bumper off and painting it black, I'm currently doing this. The front bumper has 6 bolts that you will need to take off. Take off the grille assembly first, mine was held on with plastic clips, just pry them out with a screw driver. My bolts were rusted and gave me a hard time, but use a little WD-40 and you should be fine. The plastic parts/trim should just pop off with a little effort once the bumper is removed from the truck. From there, do the normal sanding, primer, and paint. Use 200-300 sand paper and I've heard that self-etching primer is best to use on chrome bumpers.

3. SilverSteve

SilverSteve New Member

Are you painting the chrom bumper and the plastic piece below it ??What kind of paint are you using on both ? I herd that you couldnt use paint over chrome thats why i ask. And would the same paint be used for the chrome piece that goes across the grill and under the headlight

4. Metaluzc

I can only go by what I've read and am beginning to do myself, but Dupli-Color is a good choice for the etching primer and paint. It is true that paint doesn't go over chrome well, just make sure you remove all traces of the chrome when you are sanding and you should be fine. As for the grille assembly (the chrome piece the goes across the grille and under the headlight), it can be done the same way. I'd suggest taking off the bow tie before you start sanding though. Personally, I'm going with the black grille assembly, chrome bow tie, black bumpers, look. Can't comment on the plastic piece below the bumper because I'm not sure if I'm going to paint that part.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

W/T's came with silver painted bumpers. Maybe you could locate a salvage yard with one. Than just paint it black.

6. SilverSteve

SilverSteve New Member

Whats a wt ?? Do you think just a normal plastic paint would be okay to use on the plastic piece at the bottom of front bumper ??

7. Metaluzc

If they sell paint specifically for plastic you would think that it should be fine. I haven't done any research on painting the plastic trim or what paint to use to get the job done, sorry. Just found this link for you though: http://www.paintscratch.com/whatorder.htm#bumper

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A W/T is for work truck. A basic truck. You can get them with a/c and automatic trans but the have no body trim ,rubber flooring etc...

9. Danko

Danko Former Member

steelie bumpers

Bumper shops sell unpainted steel bumpers for less than painted W/Ts would cost.