1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To: Black out your Chevy bow tie

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by Springthing, Sep 25, 2008.

1. sdavis2702

sdavis2702 New Member

Not a great pic but I did mine too!

[​IMG]
  2. devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree New Member

looks great sean!
  3. oOcornflakeOo

oOcornflakeOo New Member

I'm jealous! I'm going out to get paint tonight!

For those of you with a 2000 1500 silverado, heres a pic of how the back of the bow tie on my truck looks like. I've also put together a thread of the job I'm doing on my silverado so check it out!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member

fighting the urge to take the bowtie off tonight

Im trying to stop from going out in the dark and taking the bowtie off. better wait till tomarrow when the suns out.
  5. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 New Member

Great Info...

Im gonna have to do my GMC logo.... gotta wait till its payday and I got a day off to do it thou

Do all of you use a clear coat or no?
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  6. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Not totally necessary but it's a good way to ensure gloss or satin finish and adds one more layer of protection.
  7. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 New Member

anyone know how easy it is to "pop" out the chevy bowtie from the 07/08/09 grille? i don't want to break it... knowing my luck trial and error would end up in error..lol I've got my chevy bowties covered with a silver carbon fiber vinyl but after reading this thread i may paint them silver/chrome (everyone's doing it in black lol gotta be a little different..haha)
  8. Springthing

If you don't get an answer then I will suggest you undo the top fasterners on your grill and have a light tug on it. You should be able to see how it is fastened in back.

Actually, what I did was grab the digital camera, stick my arm behind the grill and take a few snaps. I was able to see right away what I had back there.

Good luck!
  9. crazi

crazi New Member

what type of paint are you guys using? I'm pretty interested. I should be getting my truck back here in the next few days and looking to finally start changing its appearence.
  10. Springthing

I use(d) Dupli-Color but I'm sure any automotive paint (DuPont, etc) would be fine.