1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How to: De-Badge and De-Mold your vehicle

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by bzboardco, Dec 30, 2008.

1. silversurfer

silversurfer Member

Nice job - looks very clean. Impressive because I thought it was going to look obvious, but it ended up smooth and clean.

2. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

Wow! looking at your truck I would swear it was my old truck! :lol: Mine was debadged before I bought it.

IMG00096.jpg

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

De-badge/molding

Did my 05 Silverado and wifes 05 Trailblazer, both look 100% better and no more wax to clean from grooves around molding.

4. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

Glad the Write-Up could help :great:

5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

[​IMG]

I used a heat gun and then wiped the residue off with alcohol.

6. Darstedly

Darstedly Rockstar 100 Posts

Cool to see the theiry put to the test. Your truck looks great. I'm also glad to see another use for fishing line. I only ever use is to hang Christmas decorations. (Can you tell I don't go fishing?) :great:

7. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you do it that way you need to have no distractions. A little too much heat and bye-bye clearcoat.

Cool write-up. BZ way to go on this one.

8. chevyrulz

chevyrulz New Member

finally got around to de-badging my silverado this weekend. i didn't use a heat gun and my results were flawless. I just grabbed hold of the door trim pieces and ripped them off. the glue came off easily with just my finger nail and about 20 minutes. i used alcohol to clean what little bit of glue was left, followed by some carnauba wax to protect.

the tailgate was a little trickier. the chevrolet emblem came off with most of the glue on it and i easily blended the slight fading with some light rubbing & meguire's scratch-x followed by more carauba wax. the silverado logo proved to be a total pain in the ass, and theres still some glue on my tailgate from it. my thumbs got sore so i'll finish it up over the next couple days. the heatgun will definitely make this process easier, but you gotta be real careful with the heat application. i'll probably stick with the fingernail method solely for the best interests of my paint

9. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes you do have to be careful with the heat gun. I just heated them up just enough to distort the emblem and then garbed the corner with a pair of duckbills and pulled them off. And yes my fingertips hurt after scarping off residue too.

10. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

Just got back inside from removing my door molding. My driver side pulled off with no tape left on the doors. (According to the date on the back of the molding it was just made in '08). The passenger side was a different story. It was original to the truck. It left every piece of tape behind, I expected this. I searched all 4 auto parts stores in the area and can't find an eraser wheel. Can anyone recommend anything else to remove the adhesive?

Thanks!
    Z