1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to determine if the instrument cluster has been rebuilt

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Jamm3r, Feb 18, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

On my 2004 'burb the instrument cluster has a number of lights that have burned out. I have to tear the dash apart for some other repairs.

I'm trying to decide whether to just buy some new lights and put them on, or have the whole thing rebuilt with new gauge motors. If it's already been rebuilt once then there's no reason to do it again. Is there a way to tell whether that's been done?
  2. Hairscrambler

Hairscrambler New Member

I'm in the same boat with the gauges not working correctly and a light out. Interested in seeing what replies you get. You can see my responses too below.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

if the dealer did it they usually just replace the cluster. when they do this they tend to put the correct mileage but they never update the engine hours. I figured this out by looking at a few trucks that had dealer replacements. I divided the miles (120,000) by the hours displayed (1500) and the result said that the owner had to average 80mph over the life of the truck. I have done it a few times and whenever it has been an average above 35 mph the cluster had been changed. Some private shops will put a sticker on the back of the cluster with a rebuild date, others do not.
  4. Jamm3r

Always wondered why the engine hours were implausibly low when I got the 'burb, that explains it. Probably replaced by the dealer.

I'll solder in some new lamps and call it good. Thanks!
  5. Jamm3r

The cluster had a sticker indicating it was rebuilt. Thanks, Pikey!
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When you are changing the bulbs see if you can locate a part number on the stepper motors. The issue is that I think the number is printed on the section that fits against the circuit board. The old part number is C5.168, these are the ones that fail. Some rebuild companies used the old model before the new models came out or are still using old stock C5.168, leaving customers on the hook for another repair in the future. The new model number is X27.168. While I have a hard time saying "never" a few rebuilders that I have talked to claim that the new X27.168 "never fail". If you discover that the old number motors are in your cluster and decide to replace them PM me, I know of a place that sells all of the motors (new model number) and bulbs for $47 with shipping included or $20 bulbs for $15
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014