How to Determine RPO Codes

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Vincennes02261897, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have a feeling that this is probably a pretty easy question but I'm not having much luck in finding the answer. So, how do you determine what RPO codes your vehicle has? For example, if I'm trying to ensure that my 2009 Silverado has RPO AP8, how would I go about checking into that? Does this have anything to do with the codes that are listed on the sticker that is located on the interior of the glove compartment?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes it does......in the Glove box you will want to look for.....RPO Code....AP8.....which Is the Factory Remote Start Prep-package.......

3. Vincennes02261897

Ok, perfect. So if it says something like, "RPO Code AP8" then I'm good to buy remote start fobs and have the computer flashed and the fobs programmed by the dealer?

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dillon.....you want to see......"AP8"......and your Good to go.....also I just posted in the Remote Start Thread with the rest of the Information.....:glasses:

5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You can also enter you vin number here and it should come back with a full listing of the RPO codes for your truck. Stephan posted this the other day and it worked perfectly for my truck. This is helpful for us lazy people.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin

6. Vincennes02261897

Haha. Excellent. Thanks for the info, guys. I didn't quite realize that it would be that easy.

And I'm going to bookmark that site that Stephan posted. Thanks for sharing, Mike. I must have missed him posting that. Either that or I got too caught up with that Trap and Skeet thread to notice it. LoL.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Hahaha... I just realized that you posted ALL of that information on the other thread just 2 minutes after I created this one. If I had just waited 2 more minutes, there would have been no need for this thread altogether. I thought about asking on the other thread but I didn't want to hijack it from the original poster with my own questions. Anyway, thanks again.

7. mfleetwood

Now you guys have me curious if I have that function and I just don't have the button on my remote. I going to check it out and see. Who knows, I might have a nice surprise waiting for me??!!

8. Vincennes02261897

What did you find out, Mike?

I just looked and, sure enough, AP8 is there! I guess now I just need to buy the FOBs and have them programmed. That excites me.

I'm wondering, though... In regards to the remote start feature, does the truck's computer have the ability to read the outside temperature and adjust the climate inside the vehicle appropriately (i.e.- its cold outside so the heater comes on in your truck before you get in) or does the AC just come on as it normally would (i.e.-whatever setting it was on when I last drove my truck)?

9. mfleetwood

I do have the AP8 but after Mike posted the pricing (and that was without the dealer labor or reflashing), I will have to put that mod at near the bottom of my list or maybe skip it. It looks like it could cost $300 or more. What's make this an even harder decision is that the remotes look really cool too and look like they can do a lot. Decisions....decisions....decisions..........

Not sure how it knows to crank up the heater or A/C. It may if you have the digital climate control. Unfortunately, I have the dial. That's a great question though.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

Dillon and Mike....By having..."AP8".....would buy the Factory R.S. kit part #17801236 which includes 2 New Remote Fobs and the G.M. Security CODE NUMBER to enable the Tech II to program the Fobs......once that is done you will have Remote Key-less Entry and Remote Start.

Last the programming of the New Fobs MUST BE DONE by Local Chevy Dealer and you can not by New Factory Remote Start Fobs off of E-bay....for the reasons above....(Code Number)....which your Local Chevy dealer gets from G.M....

As far as the Heater and/or A/C coming with the Remote Start Fobs, that would be a question for your Dealer???.....last there is no flashing of the Computer.....just the programming of the Fobs with Security Code Number.