1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To Fight A Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I was preparing again to fight my speeding ticket in Fort Worth, Texas and I came across this article which does an excellent job of giving general information for how to prepare to fight a speeding ticket. If you are about to go to court for a ticket, or know someone that is about to, I recommend at least looking at this document if you're going-it-alone.

On top of this, does anyone else have any tactics or strategies that they have employed that have worked for the dismissal of a speeding ticket?
  2. gear_head

gear_head New Member

Don't speed, your best defense.

The article does little to shed light on the "fighting" topic. It will vary state to state. If you contest and lose in IL, you will also have to pay court costs and not be allowed to get court supervision usually.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I wasn't speeding and I got a ticket for 66 in a 60. I'm fighting it. Generally, I agree with you but Texas and many other states have different laws.
  4. mwatters

mwatters New Member

Simple answer, you don't, if the cop shows up to court, you lost. if you were more than 10 over the limit, you lost. Your best bet is follow the cop to the station, pay the ticket, get it expunged, and go on about your day. Next time keep your car or truck within 10 on the roads, 12 on the interstate, and 5 under in the school zone. And if you drive anything like a Suburban, you're a target, just get used to it.
  5. ck1500dess

ck1500dess New Member

Most tickets are issued to raise funds. Your best bet is to go to court and talk to the cop and or to the ADA/ District attorney, admit that you really don't
    know if you were speeding or how fast you were going, as you were going with the flow. Ask if they can reduce the charge to failure to obey a official
    sign (that caries no points) and pay the fine based on you original ticket. That way everyone wins, they get their ticket and money and you get no points.
    It's worked for me
  6. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

How about a reply from someone that goes to court as the Officer against the violator..lol And most tickets are NOT issued to raise funds, where do you get your information from?? They from blitzing, RIDE programs, places they know there are violators, and that is the job of an Officer, to find people that are violating or breaking the law. And to everyone shock...There is NO QUOTA!! We are encouraged to find speeders/violators, and to get the job the done!

I never give a ticket for 10 over, most people do that anyways, 20 over, is my limit usually. I don't really like when people come up and talk to me before their trial, there is nothing that they didn't tell me in the vehicle, that they are not going to tell me. Go see the prosecutor/DA and work it out with them. Bring any documents like abstract, driving history, insurance etc.. that will show the judge that you have a good driving record. Don't plead guilty with an explanation, we already know that your guilty. Explain that yes, you were doing above the speed limit, and won't do it again, I have brought some documents to show you that I am a reasonable, good driver.

My notes, creditability, etc.. against you. That's work it works, if the Officer shows up. If it is radar, your done. The judge may reduce it to the minimum and request like 30 days to pay. Just be sincere, and honest and things will go well for you.. 10 over is nothing, 50 over, then I would get representation.. You will be fine.. Good luck!
  7. Texas Kid

Texas Kid New Member

GMCErica, you don't sound like a PO-lice to me...

Steve, you just admitted going 66 in a 60, so you're guilty. What are you going to fight exactly?

Your best bet is to plead guilty, and request deferred disposition (some courts call it deferred adjudication). Seriously. Unless you have a really good defense or argument, you chances of winning are about 1 in 10,000. The whole thing about getting the ticket - you can't take it personally. For the officer, it's just another business transaction. I use to write about 30 to 40 per month, made notes on everyone so I could review before I went to court. There are no tactics, strategy, or any bs that will get the ticket dismissed. Best thing to do is just go in there, be resepctful to the court, be humble, and who knows, the judge just might like the tie you're wearing and cut you some slack. Good luck.
  8. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

Get your self a soap on a rope and start lifting weights. All the Texas Judges drive Fords. Your screwed.
  9. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

BAHAHAHA!! OMG!! Poor Steve... Don't worry steve, your a good lookin' guy they may go easy on you...
  10. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

Oh, you think they care if he has a face.....