Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to firm up the seats?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bcms6, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bcms6

bcms6 Member

I bought a used 2005 Silverado 2500HD with 74K miles. I knew the seat was a bit sagging when I first bought it (and used that to my advantage in negotiating). Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. When I drive over bumps, the seat launches me into the air. While fun, it's not the most comfortable or the safest. Any ideas on how much I can do to firm up the seat? I'll probably take it to an upholstry shop to check out, but wanted to get thoughts first. Should the springs be replaced, just add padding, ....?

The seat is full manual adjust and the truck is extended cab, so the seat belt is integrated into the seat.
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When I got my '03, I felt like I was sitting on the floor! I took the seat apart and noticed that the springs from front to back under the seat cushion (which were nothing more than 5 to 6 wires tied from the back to the front) had been cutting into the seat foam. Think of a cheese slicer here. I pulled the cushion out of the springs and cut a piece of cardboard to go between the springs and foam. I wrapped the cardboard in an old towel and re-assembled. The seat felt great after that.

The upholstery is only held on to the seat with plastic clips. there are no hog rings. you can unsnap them and pull the material off. This would be the time to toss teh covers into the washing machine. DO NOT DRY THEM, however. Let them hang on a line until dry.

Hope this helps!
  3. bcms6

bcms6 Member

Does that apply to leather seats too?
  4. moogvo

Sure it does. they are the same underneath the coverings.
  5. bcms6

bcms6 Member

I lifted the seat, and the wires did not cut through the padding. However, I inserted cardboard anyway between the wires and foam and it seems to have dampened the spring in the seat a bit. The seat still needs more padding though, so I'll see if I can add some. Thanks for the tips.
  6. moogvo

Wrap the cardboard with an old towel. That will give a little bit.

Glad it helped if even a little.
  7. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Auto Restorer Magazine ran a "how to" article for rebuilding seats that shows how to select and carve/shape foam for putting in the seat. I can't recall the month, but you might try going on their web site and emailing them about getting a copy of that issue. It is a great magazine for anyone wanting to know how to do all sorts of work on your car, not just for restorers like me.

The article was, I believe, in the past 12 months.
  8. bcms6

bcms6 Member

9. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

It is a three part series that ends in the December 2011 issue (that one talks about the electric mechanisms in electric seats). I could not find the November issue as of this writing, but you may want to look at that issue as well. I could have sworn it had pictures of cutting that foam, and I did not see it in the October article.