Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How to Fix Code P0449 Evap Pics,Video and part #'s

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Enkeiavalanche, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Most of us have had this problem and some have not bothered with it. Well because of this My remote start will not work so after doing all the research I could I found all the info I needed and a good video. The work can be done in your driveway in under an hour and you don't need much tools..

#1 Flat head Screw driver
    #2 Some kind of cutters for wire ties
    #3 13mm Socket

Thats it Oh and a Creeper will help.... [​IMG]

Ok parts needed from the dealer ship.. Some might need a Adp too..

Main part about $65-$80 Adp if needed $25-$35 (Chew them down all it is is 2 plugs and wire with loom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w1ZbKIGlojA

This Video is good but they did miss a few things that I will add like an Adp that some of you might need..

- - - Updated - - -

here is the Part about $70-85.. evap5.jpg evap7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok first off lowering the Spare tire will help alot.. then locate the part and all the hoses..
    evapfix1.jpg evapfix2.jpg evapfix3.jpg evapfix4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok start taking the filter tube off of the gas lines a few wire ties then find where the hose goes in at the canitster. as you see in the video a good long flat head screw driver will help with getting the Adp off. then you can take the valve off with the screw driver also just pull back the clip and slide it off..

evapfix5.jpg
    when you get all the tubes off you can now take the bracket off the frame rail. with a 13 MM socket.

Here are some pics of the old and new.. Also look at the Plug here..

Remember Round does NOT go into Square hole.... [​IMG] So you might need the $30 Adp...

evapfix8.jpg evapfix10.jpg evapfix11.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the old and new next to each other..

evapfix6.jpg evapfix7.jpg
    Anyway Put it all back reconnect the + Batt post and you are done. The Plug into the Canaster goes right in and the breather goes up the filler line by the gas cap. Put the new Valve on the frame and tighten the 13 MM bolt and Start'er up!!!!!

Remote start works too... [​IMG]

Good luck..

evapfix12.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So I was at a New Years eve party and one of my friends there has a 07 LTZ Sub. So we were talking and he told me that his check light is on and his remote start is not working...:gasp: I asked if he took it to the dealer yet and he said Nope been on for 6 months.. I just so happen to have my Superchips programer in my truck and said Lets go take a look... Sure enough P0449..:glasses: I told him I can fix that...... IF you have a heated garage.. I'll be getting the parts for him this week and his Wife gave me a BIG Hug.....

2. Enkeiavalanche

Has anyone else done this yet? Any problems?

3. undertheradar

undertheradar Rockstar

getting ready to do mine this weekend. My light came on yesterday. PO449 and PO455.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

these parts go bad most times from overfilling the fuel tank, then after a very short trip park the vehicle in an area where the fuel will heat up . this then causes fuel to expand and foul the charcoal canister with liquid fuel. this creates a black sludge that damages the valves/solenoids. very common problem with over filled vehicles and a heated garage .

5. undertheradar

undertheradar Rockstar

Yep, thats me. I always fill up past the first time the gas pump shuts off.

6. undertheradar

undertheradar Rockstar

OK so, Im a lazy sob. Im still procrastinating. GOnna tackle over Xmas holidays. Can u verify that this part # IS for NNBS? I have a 2010 Silverado.

7. j cat

I would not buy anything until you have inspected this for all that was mentioned.

you could possibly need a new canister if you filler up too much and then park it with out burning OFF the excess fuel.

8. undertheradar

undertheradar Rockstar

how do I determine if the canister is bad??

9. j cat

remove hoses and look for black goo. also any cracks they can crack. the lines also get pinched kinked with improper handling as some have had fuel system repairs and the bodyshop / mechanics are sloppy..

another example which I have dealt with was frame welding melted the line with hot metal splashing ,.

10. Enkeiavalanche

Please take pics of what you are doing to help other members..