How to force my starter motor?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Geister, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Geister

Geister Rockstar

So my starter just died, out of nowhere. No issues or trouble starting it all day today. But once I got home I parked and was going to leave again after an hour or so then my starters dead. Not even a click. Anyone have an idea as to how I can ghetto start my truck? The starters in a P.I.T.A. position and i cant figure out how to do the ol screwdriver trick. Any ideas until I can go get a new one?

2. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

wack it with a tire iron.

Are you sure its the starter?

3. Geister

Geister Rockstar

Yea I got full electrical and light. But I dont even get a click or any noise when I try to turn it over

4. poncho62

poncho62 Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Tapping with something (tire iron, hammers) sometimes works....It could also be that your neutral switch has slipped.....Put it in neutral and try it,,,,wiggle shifter around a bit while doing that...foot on brake

Failing that, take starter off and test it

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yep, could be the starter, could also be a number of other things.
    - a loose connection
    - a broken wire.
    - a bad starter relay
    - a blown starter relay fuse.
    - as [MENTION=63365]poncho62[/MENTION] suggested, a bad Park/Neutral switch
    - as he also implied, maybe you don't have the shifter in P, or N.
    - a bad ignition switch.

As you can see, the list is/can be a long one. A meter is a good tool to figure out what is wrong.

6. Geister

Geister Rockstar

Found my problem. Definitely a connection issue, one of the wires going to my solenoid was completely cut in half.......not sure exactly how that happened. New wire should help fix it, tested the starter itself and its all good.

7. Geister

Geister Rockstar

Everythings all fixed! Spliced in a new wire and wrapped everything with lots of electrical tape, then a new heat shield. She runs again :party: