How to Grease the Slip Yoke

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by FergusonT, Apr 19, 2012.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Anybody tell me how to grease the slip yoke on a '99 Silverado Z71? It has the infamous clunk and I don't think I am going to drop the cash for the nickel plated upgrade. From what I have read on this forum and others, greasing the yoke temporarily stops the clunk.

Does the yoke have grease fittings?

2. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

It should have a fitting for you to grease it on the drive shaft pretty close to the U-joint if I'm not mistaken. If not, you could always tap a fitting in there.

3. FergusonT

Somebody told me to pull it out and you can fill the inside of it.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

MY yukon was doing the same thing. I pulled the drive shaft and greased the inside of the slip yoke very well. It has no made noise in 2 months.

5. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

More GM bad design and dealer cover-up. took mine back when it was new the dealer said "It didn't do it when we drove it".. Unmitigated B.S. It still does it when it feels like it.

6. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't think I would grease the inside of the slip yoke if it is internal, or it slips inside the Transmission (2wd), or Transfer case (4wd). But if it does have a slip yoke grease fitting that would be fine. The grease will break down inside the Tranny and would clog passages. T case might not hurt anything but you never know. Check the universals espesially the rear one.

7. FergusonT

All good thoughts, still have yet to climb underneath and check it out...man its an annoying clunk...

Also though I am noticing a similar clunk when I come to a stop, right when I let off the brakes just before I come to the complete stop. If I just let it roll at idle speed and slam the brakes, the truck rocks forward and backward and I get the same clunk. My initial thought when I test drove the truck was that the bed was loose....All the suspension bolts seems to be secured, as I have checked that out. Maybe a mount of some sort, tranny/t case....something like that...any thoughts? Maybe the clunks are the same.

8. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like your clunk may be some slack in your drivetrain? I'd definitely start out by grabbin' on to your driveshaft and see if you can twist it yourself. If not, my did something similar before throwing the t case. Only difference is mine would do it at the beginning of acceleration too. If you don't feel and slack though, pump your zerks up and see if it makes a difference.

9. FergusonT

I have slack on the shaft between the trans and tcase, maybe a quarter inch.

10. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I just pulled my driveshaft and greased the inside of the yoke. Noticed a bit of metal shavings on the splines of the transfer case. Still clunks since I ran out of axle grease so I'll probably buy some more and put some more in there.