1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To: Have a roast done at the end of your road trip.

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by Springthing, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

***What follows is meant to be for entertainment only! I do not recommend this be done in any way, shape or form! Let me say that another way: DO NOT DO THIS!***

Ever get at the end of your road trip only to be left with poor options for supper? Is it 3 a.m. when you pull into the motel and there is not a restaurant in site? Have no fear! A nice warm meal is just waiting for you to sit back and enjoy. Just pop and hood, grab your grub, and enjoy.

You'll need:

A small roast (beef or pork)
    Your favourite seasonings
    Foil
    Thermometer
    A car

Prepare your roast as you would normally rubbing on your favourite seasonings.

Place the probe of your meat thermometer in the middle of the roast. A probe that is "oven safe" works best. Having to poke a thermometer into the roast after it's been wrapped with just leave holes in your foil where juices will be allowed to escape, drying the roast and making a mess!

Wrap your roast tightly in a large piece of foil. Ensure that you enclose the roast tightly enough so that none of the wonderful juices escape while cooking. Place roast near one end of the foil, fully wrap the roast once, fold what will be the "top" of the roast wrap roast another turn and a half, fold the "bottom" and complete the wrap. Standing on end your roast should now be leak proof.

Just before heading out on your road trip place and secure the roast in an appropriate place under the hood of your vehicle. Ensure your roast and especially the foil(!!) is not touching any electrical component. Until you find the perfect 'sweet spot' place the roast further away from the engine at first. After a few roasts, you'll know the perfect place to slow cook your grub. Ensure your ties (wire used in the photos below) and thermometer cable are safely stowed away from moving or electrical components.

At each stop feel free to plug your thermometer to the probe to see how your roast is coming along.

Depending on the outside temperature, the temperature inside your engine compartment, the placement of your roast, and the length of your drive your roast could be ready in anywhere from 2 - 5 hours or more. For tender meat... slower is better!

Once you've reached your destination (or when you get hungry and your roast has come up to temperature) carefully remove your roast, unwrap, and enjoy!

***Pork needs to be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees.
    ***Beef needs to be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees.

I think.

If you have room feel free to add sliced onions and vegetables to your roast. Ensure your foil pack is tightly wrapped and secured well so as not to have it get caught up anywhere in your engine compartment or leak!

Always have a fire extinguisher in your vehicle.

Never cook anything on your engine, in your engine compartment or anywhere else in your vehicle. I mean seriously. Don't do this. Your vehicle is not a toy, it's a responsibility. Do you know what kind of fumes you have going on under the hood? How many deadly fluids are under there and boiling? Exactly.. so don't cook food there.

Ok, it was kind of cool to cook a roast this way though. We were driving 4 hours in the afternoon in a black car in full sun.

PS - We still opted to order chinese food to the hotel room.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. Springthing

Ok, can include five attachments - here is the last photo. Not the most appetizing looking roast ever, but what do you want.... this wasn't no crock-pot cookin'!

Attached Files:

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I spy a ford logo in a couple of those pics....are you cheating on us with another vehicle manufacturer?:rofl: Just kidding, I have a Bronco, so it's cool. Seems like a very interesting way to cook food. I might have to try that on a couple of trips, though I don't know if I'd do a roast...
  4. Springthing

Well, like I said on another thread - there's quite a significant cost difference between the 4hr up and 4hr back road trip when you're gassing up the 'burban as opposed to the v6 mustang! For an overnight, quick trip I'll go with the v6!

But good eye!
  5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

we made alot of these "Hobo" meals and they are not the best but ok eats. it is funny to be in traffic and the timer runs out and you get out and pull a meal off the motor...lol. if you have a turbo it is a better heat source. if you do meat make sure you temp probe it to make sure it is cooked all the way thru. we normally cut things into small cubes o it cooked well..........mike
    they are on line recipies to follow if you like to do this...
  6. EKperformance

EKperformance Member

i have done this with hot dogs on daytona beach, i forgot the charcoal at the house and i didnt want to fight traffic to go to the store, worked well with just a nice hint of exhaust leak,didnt even need mustard!!!:rofl:
  7. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've done this as well, but not with raw beef. It works in a pinch.
  8. 05azsilver

05azsilver Rockstar 100 Posts

I would only do this with beef, just in case it's not quite done.
  9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

ha this is how I used to keep breakfast sandwiches warm at work!:lol:
  10. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Well, in a pinch I would try this technique, but I perfer the Burns-O-matic Torch, Yea........:great:

Jeff