1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How to Hook up HID's & Fogs

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by chevyboy069, Dec 17, 2008.

1. chevyboy069

chevyboy069 New Member

I have a 05 chevy silverado and want to put 6K HID's in for my low beams. How exactly do they wire up in my 05 truck?Also i read the threads on here about hookin up Fogs but their not detailed. I have the dam with the place for fogs but i will need to cut out the holes for them, which isnt a problem. But the truck didnt come with fogs as i said, just has the valance with the spots for them which ill need to cut the holes out. Where online can i find a diagram or a manual on how to wire and install OEM fog light kit?Please help.

2. steves86ta

steves86ta Rockstar

im almost 100% positive that if your truck didnt come with fog lamps from the factory, you can install the oem ones, and plug them in but i think you need to reprogram the body control module for them to work. But i could be wrong

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a link to an HID install (step by step with pictures) if you want, just send me a PM.

4. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

most newer HID conversion kits you plug into the headlight bulb's wiring harness. those power the ballasts, and in turn those shoot juice to the bulbs, which should be tailored to fit in your headlmp housing.

[​IMG] ★ Do not touch glass part of the bulb with your hands during installation.
    [​IMG]★ When installing HID Xenon Lamp, you should place the ballast in a drafty area to dissipate heat. Do not place the ballast near the engine or fan which will give off a lot of heat. If the ballast temperature goes up to 105 degrees, the over heat protection will automatically shut off the power.

★ During installation please make sure that you have a good ground for the negative, please ensure it is grounded to metal .A poor ground will cause the HID light to flicker.

★ Avoid scratching the bulb when you install it, don’t touch the glass part of the bulb with your bare hands.

★ Please ensure all connections e.g. the plug in of the lights socket, the positive and negative of the power are well connected, Fail to do some will result in performance shortfall.

★ When you adjust the bulb, please don’t let the end of the bulb touch the inner glare shield of the headlamp assembly.

★ Any connections make directly to the battery, should go thru safety check before connecting power..

★ In any case, please don’t disassemble or modify the system, All warranty will be void if you do so and we will not be responsible for any mishap that occurs.

★ In case of replace or repair is needed, please seek help from the nearest professional shop.
    [​IMG]★In order to ensure safety, Installation of the system should be performed after engine is totally cool down.

★You must disconnect the power source before you install it.

★Before you install it, please ensure the vehicle is in the neutral or park position.

★Please be careful, as the output of the ballast will produce high voltage.

★Do not touch the bulbs after it is turn on to prevent scalded.

★Don’t gazes straight into the light when you turn on the headlamp, it will hurt your eyes.

★Don’t put the HID system near any combustible goods, such as papers, oil, spray, diluents etc.

★Don’t adjust the level of the beams too high, it will severely effect the safety operation of other drivers.

[​IMG]★ Be careful of the bulb breakage during installation process.

5. rotaryenginepete

1. Genernal installation step:
    Easy installation in general goes like 1-2-3-done as described below.

Step 1: After disconnecting power to the two headlamps and after removing the bulb access covers of the low beam, high beam or both bulb access covers, drill a small hole in the removed cover. The HID-Xenon bulb wire is passed through this hole for your headlamp upgrade. On the wire is a supplied adjustable tight rubber waterproof grommet to be fitted into the hole. Next, the HID-Xenon bulb is fitted into the headlamp's base and locked into position via the factory locking device. No cutting of wiring is required on the installation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Step 2:Reinstall the access panel and close it.Secure the small ballast to a convenient location in the motorbay.

[​IMG]Step 3: Finally attach power to the headlamp in the normal manner and the upgrade is completed. Headlamp realignment is recommended but only required if you have removed the headlamp during the upgrade which sometimes can be avoided (model and side dependant).
    It takes about 1-2hours to complete the installation. No special tools are required. Normal handtools only.

BONUS: Each upgrade kit is easily reversible or transferable! When you decide to sell your car , it will only take a few moments to reverse the installation and re-install your original halogen bulbs as they were before. You can either sell the HID upgrade system or re-install it on your next car with same or different bulb setup. All you need to do is seal the small hole on the bulb access cover and you are done.

6. rotaryenginepete

[​IMG]When installation, if the socket is metal, you should check the diameter of the installation hole first and see whether it is too small, if the diameter is less 12mm, the hole should be filed larger. When burnished, the socket opening should be downward and file the hole from inner to outer which can avoid the metal debris from falling into the headlight assembly.
    [​IMG]When installation, if the socket is plastic, first of all check the installation hole size and see whether there is a notch under the hole, if not, a new notch should be open by small file so as to make sure there is a enough room for putting into the bulb body as well as the ceramic annulations. When burnished, the socket opening should be downward and file the hole from inner to outer which can avoid the plastic debris from falling into the headlight assembly.
    [​IMG]When installation, if the lamp assembly comes with plastic waterproof cover. Drill a 23 mm hole and thread the wire through, seal the hole with sealant this will provide water proof to the system.
    [​IMG]When installing H4 (H/L), if the bulb’s tip touches the light cap in the assembly, the cap may be removed to prevent the Hi/Lo feature of the bulb from function normally. Removing the cap will not affect the light assembly’s focus point.

7. rotaryenginepete

[​IMG]After completing installation, if astigmatism occurs, please ensure the bulb sit in the socket correctly. And make sure you are using the right bulb for the application because the bulbs are not interchangeable and it will short the life span of the bulb if installed incorrectly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wow this is an awesome thread for HID lighting, thank you very much for all of the nice installation pictures. That definately helped me out considering I hadn't even thought about this upgrade, I think I will give it a try now. I definately have the skills to do this upgrade, I always thought it was a lot harder than that. Thank you again rotary pete!

9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thanks dwill for the awesome install website, that looks easier than what I had to go through with my off-road lights! My only question is are these street legal, because I am worried that they are not DOT approved?
    I don't need to get a ticket for a set of headlights, thanks for your help!