1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how to improve fuel mileage on a 03

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ChevyFarmKid, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ChevyFarmKid

ChevyFarmKid New Member

I have a 03 silverado 1500 with a 5.3, 3.73 rear end, with 285/75/16 tires, mbrp dual exhaust. I'm only getting 12mpg, seems like i should be getting at least 15 or so looking at what others get. I have a new MAF sensor, new y-pipe w/ cat's, all o2 sensor's replaced, new fuel filter, I do all regular maintenance as well. if anyone has any suggestions, anything would be appreciated. Thomas
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I would like to know what you have done for regular maint? plugs, filters? also you say 12mpg is that highway or city? and how are you driving doing that (ive had 3 of these trucks with the 5.3L and the milage on each was different)
    BTW that is a nice looking rig!
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Have you adjusted for the taller tires?
    What came stock-maybe 265/70 16??
    They might be 2" taller than stock meaning you are actually getting maybe 1mpg better than calculated
    Charlie
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Did you recalibrate the speedometer after increasing your tire size? This will throw off your speedometer , odometer and fuel mileage. Also a free breathing Cold Air Intake combined with a less restrictive exhaust can help. There is also the option to purchase a handheld programmer that has the ability to set the fuel management for fuel economy, towing, performance or stock. Diablo, Edge, Hypertech, super chips all make nice units.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Yes you definitely have to recalibrate for taller tires- or just do a little multiplication each time.
    For example if your OEM tires were 31" and current are 33"
    do this
    12MPG X33/31=12.7MPG
    Same story with what your odometer reads- multiply it by a correction factor
    You are going farther and faster that your odomter and speedometer are reading.
    Another thing-those wider taller heavier tires have more aero resistance and rolling resistance and take more power to accelerate(and brake) than the stock tires
    They have look to have fairly aggressive tread-probably more rolling resistance
    Oh-did I mention-Nice looking tires/truck
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. ChevyFarmKid

ChevyFarmKid New Member

I bought the truck with 15,000 miles on it. When I bought it, it already had 285/75/16's on it from the dealer, so i'm not sure it's been recalculated or not. I have always run Schaeffer oil in it with WIX filter and changed it every 3k. I have also rebuilt the transmission and t-case. Looks like a programmer is the next step. Any suggestions for a Programmer?
  8. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

A programmer can help slightly and you can use it to correct for the larger tires. But a real dyno tune will be much more optimized and the dyno tuner can do many more things than a simple plug in tuner. Also cost really wouldnt be much different either way.
  9. Do you drive mostly city or highway? I have a 02 4.8L with 285/55/20 and I get 17 mpg and I drive a mix of city and highway. But I have always know that the way you drive will depend on the mileage you get. So easy on the accelerator will make a world of difference.
  10. SuperSport01

SuperSport01 New Member

I just had another thought. Since its an 03 it didnt come with electric fans like the 06+ trucks do. A set of electric fans will free up power and mileage.