1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To: Make Your Own Shift Boot

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by sje0123, Apr 26, 2010.

1. sje0123

sje0123 New Member

I have an Automatic 2001 Chevrolet Silverado. The boot around the column shifter was torn to pieces and a replacement costs roughly $25 online. I decided to spare myself the expense and make my own.

Tools/Materials needed:

~1/4 Yard - Furniture Upholstery Vinyl
    Sewing Machine or Needle & Thread (You will get a tighter stitch with a sewing machine)
    Your old shift boot
    Epoxy (You will need to find one that will bind plastics)
    Scissors
    Razor Blade

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures through this whole process

You will need to remove the existing boot. To to this there are a few screws under the steering wheel you will need to take out. Then you separate the top and bottom plastic pieces on the steering column. The boot fixture will come off up and over the shifter. I did not remove the shifter arm because I didn't want to dig deep down the steering column to unplug the OD button wire.

I then cut the soft rubber from the inside of the existing boot. You end up with just the hard plastic piece that attaches to the plastic housing around the steering column. I measured the sides and went to my vinyl fabric. I cut four total triangular pieces. 2 at the base matching the length of the sides and 2 at the base matching the width of the top and bottom.

Overall, the triangles were 6" tall. This is the minimum you should go. It ends up tight in "P" and "1". I then sewed them all up side to side and went back to the plastic piece I cut the old boot out of. I glued the boot to the plastic piece and let it set for the recommended amount of time. I kept it all together and in place with little clamps.

After the epoxy set I went out and put it all back on the truck. I used a zip tie to attach the top and rolled the boot back down over it so you can see the zip tie. Put the boot plastic piece all back in and secured the plastic column housing all back up.

I hope I did an OK job of explaining what I did. If you have questions let me know and I'll do my best.

Here is the finished product:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member 100 Posts

wow i have wanted to fix my shift boot for awhile now im glad you posted this cuz wanna do this when i get back from college! thank you very much for taking the time to post it :great:
  3. sje0123

sje0123 New Member

Not a problem. Glad it helped you out.
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this how to with us. :great::great::great:
  5. pmartin816

pmartin816 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks for the post. It is something that I would have never thought to do. Nice right up.
  6. Goldie

Goldie New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Gret write up! And thanx for posting it.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice write up and what is sorry is that will probably outlast the factory on by decades...
  8. mudskipper

mudskipper New Member

I have an '02 that needs this done. Thanks for the DIY.:money:
  9. Budweiser143

Budweiser143 New Member

How much did the materials cost? How long did it take to make this and write up the "how to?"
  10. sje0123

sje0123 New Member

It cost me maybe $10. All in it took an hour to make and a nigft for the glue to set.