1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to re-program TPMS 2013 Silverado?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jun 25, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I rotated my tires on my 2013 Silverado. I am aware of holding down the lock and unlock buttons on the remote, letting a little bit of air out of each tire starting with DF, PF, PR, and DR. Apparently from what I have read, this no longer works with the Silverado starting in 2012. You have to use a tool. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
  2. greywolf11

greywolf11 New Member

You are correct. GM vehicles produced since Jan 2011 require a tpms tool to reset the sensors. I had a 2011 that the air out method would work on, but traded her in February of this year. I went ahead and bit the bullet for a reset tool. The most inexpensive tool I found was a Kent Moore EL-50448.

I am neither suggesting or not suggesting the following site, but it gives you an idea of the approximate cost and look of the tool. You might find a better deal by looking around.

http://www.autotoolworld.com/product.asp?itemid=198848&gclid=CPKr0Y3dgLgCFeHm7Aodz1UAkg
  3. steved

steved Former Member

The simplest thing to do is to have all the monitors reset to the same PSI that is lower than the max...for example, the OE TPMS pressures in my 2500HD were 60psi front and 70psi in the rear. I had the TPMS trip pressure reset to 50psi in all four tires for a whopping $15 at the dealer. I can now rotate at will, and not worry about position...if the TPMS alarms, I know I have a low tire (and I'm smart enough from that point to figure out which one).
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Just swing by a Discount Tire and they'll reset the TPMS for you. Or buy your own reset tool.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

To [MENTION=54243]steved[/MENTION]:

Since I rotate my tires front to back, I just have to remember that the fronts are now the back and vice versa.
  6. steved

steved Former Member

Yup...or just not worry about it. The chance the thing will ever be used is slim any way, and you should be smart enough to identify which one is low.
  7. greywolf11

greywolf11 New Member

True. Most vehicles just have a light if a tire goes low and you have to just figure out which tire. At last count, there were only four options.:)
  8. 09 Z71 4x4

09 Z71 4x4 Member