1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to read DTC codes on my 94 C1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by imsubcrazy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. imsubcrazy

imsubcrazy New Member

I did a number of searches here but could not find much on how to trigger the MIL lamp read-out for my OBD1 system. I've got a rough idle and want to see if I can retrieve the codes (blinking light readout) before I start changing plugs, wires, o2 sensor, drivettrain :) Can anybody point me to a how-to on getting to these codes? Thanks!
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Paper clip test

Check out the site mentioned. You can get a cable that will let you download the codes to a pc which sounds pretty cool. Otherwise use the paperclip method below.

[FONT=verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+1]The Quick Paper Clip Test
    Since we are looking at the connector pins, it should be mentioned here that a quick method to see which trouble code or codes are being set in your cars ECM is to jumper the A and B pins of the 12 pin ALDL OBD1 connector with a paper clip. While the car is off, sitting still, turn the ignition key forward while this jumper is in place. Do not start the car. The Service Engine Soon ( SES ) light will flash in a repeating sequence, telling which trouble codes have been set in the ECM. A service manual for your year car will have a chart outlining what each trouble code stands for, or this Trouble Code website can be of help. This paper clip method will tell you the trouble code or codes set in your ECM, but it will not tell you what conditions the trouble code is being set under, or let you clear the trouble codes on the fly, as the ALDL cable and PC setup will.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  3. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Just to expand on this, here is a diagram to show you where A and B are.

[​IMG]
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

low tech rules. i hate the new OBII system, you have to have a reader to get the codes.
  5. djturnz

djturnz New Member

I know this thread is old, but the Torque for Android App and a bluetooth dongle can read OBDII codes and monitor all functions and outputs of the OBDII system right on the phone or tablet.
  6. As stated above I know this thread is old, but my son with his 2011 cruze was looking at a way of integrating a tablet into his car. Last evening there was a sale at telus where they were clearing out there BlackBerry 32 GIG playbooks for $149.99 (canadian). So now that we have them and in the process of loading android on them we want to do something like this...
    http://www.chevroletcruzeforum.com/...user-and-other-mods/page__pid__8618#entry8618

Anyone here seen/ thought of doing/done this yet?
    It seems I will need a Bluetooth ODBII connector, and some downloadable software to use on the tablet and I'm good to go!

Might work at this this month...
  7. djturnz

djturnz New Member

Since you are going for full integration, you should get one of the better BT dongles. Just download the TORQUE app and check out the forum. Lots of people have mounted tablets into the dash and run the app for their gauges. They also recommend which bluetooths to get.