Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to remove a water pump

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BigFish, Mar 30, 2010.

1. BigFish

BigFish New Member

I have an 01' Tahoe and need to replace the water pump. But I have been told I need an air chisel to remove the fan clutch? Any help would be great.

2001 Tahoe 5.3
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Theres special tools to remove the fan and its NOT a air chisel.Check auto parts stores for the tools, some will loan or rent them to you.
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4. There is a simpler tool you can use, but be careful. I removed my fan clutch assembly off my 98 4.3L Silverado and had the same issue removing the fan clutch. Took it to a friend of mine and he used a dull chiesel about 12" and placed it near on edge of the fan pulley large nut and with a ball peen hammer tapped the chiesel I think clockwise and it was enough to loosen it up. It took him three tries and problem was solved.

If you haven't gotten it off yet, this might be the easiest way. Be careful and make sure the chiesel has a blunt edge so it won't damage the large nut.
  5. jedepsub

jedepsub Rockstar

You will also need a strap or chain wrench to hold pulley. I just replaced my water pump.