1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how to remove vent visors?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dabadas, Dec 18, 2009.

1. dabadas

dabadas Member

i have a vent visor thats broken and was wanting to know how to remove the two sided tape without damaging my paint? any ideas? thanks
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

One of the Quickest & Safest ways to remove Adhesive without Damaging your paint is with a 3-M Eraser Wheel.You can buy them at Most Auto Stores.
  3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If u use the eraser wheel, don't use any pressure. The wheel will do all the work. If u put any pressure, it could burn through the paint.
  4. Viper

Viper Rockstar 100 Posts

heat gun as well will help remove the adhesive
  5. 93 Burboun

93 Burboun New Member

I used some goo gone and a straight razor. just be careful. came off like hot butter.
  6. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

WD-40 will also remove glue
  7. dabadas

dabadas Member

how about denatured alcohol have to get from behind the counter at drug store
  8. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Be careful with that...It's used to remove tint off of taillights. I wouldn't let that get near my paint.
  9. PapaJ

PapaJ New Member

Please don't put alcohol, wd-40, or other harsh chemicals on your paint. The best way to remove the glue is to use a heat gun and be really patient. Don't get it so hot it melts. After you get the big pieces off, use a 3m buffing wheel. As previously stated, don't use pressure with it, just let the wheel and your drill do the work. Again, patience is a must. I worked in a body shop for 3 years and saw a lot of paint ruined. If it's a factory paint job, it shouldn't be a problem though.