1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To: Removing decals/trim/adhesive

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by Springthing, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There have been a few posts about how to remove left-over glue from trim after debadging, how to remove the taped accessories, stripes, etc. Well, I replaced the wind visors this past week and thought I'd share a little.

Well, after removing (aka breaking off!!) the old wind visors I was left with what most will be faced with after removing trim, badge, decals, stripes...etc. Keep in mind that when it comes to decals and stripes you can just treat them as adhesive - no special step is necessary before hitting it with the tool below - unless you want to go through the trouble and peel bit by bit.

[​IMG]

There are several way to remove the left-over adhesive but the easier and, in my opinion, best way is to use a 3M stripe/decal/adhesive removal wheel (or equivalent). Essentially it's a cross between a very dense bar of soap and an eraser.

[​IMG]

It can be fastened to air tools or, as in this case, an electric drill.

Starting at one end, work your way down the stripe/tape/glue at a slow, methodical pace, holding the wheel as perpendicular as possible to your work surface. I hold the wheel at a slight bias and move the wheel up and down a little as I go along. I feel I miss less that way.

[​IMG]

Set your tool's speed at the recommended speed for the wheel you buy. Too slow and you'll be there forever, too fast and you'll create too much heat and even risk busting the wheel apart.

The removal wheel does kick up some junk so make sure to be safe (glasses or goggles...do as I say, not as I do. :) ).
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[​IMG]

Once you have gone from one end to the other clean off the surface you worked on and then go back to hit the places you may have missed.

Clean, wash & wax the area and you should be good to go!
  3. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

very good. simple. i need to take my badges off soon
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I love to see new and unique tools every now and then, and I must say that I have never seen that 3m wheel before. I like that idea much better than using lots of elbow grease, cool write up for sure! :great:
  5. Ethan17

Ethan17 New Member

excellent post! mine broke off and i've been debating on my actions, you just decided for me! thanks
  6. Pats1pab1

Pats1pab1 Member 100 Posts

Are these removal wheels at an AutoZone or where do you pick them up at.
  7. Big75

Big75 New Member 100 Posts

I'm a body guy so I deal with this almost on a daily basis but if you've never used a rubber wheel before, TAKE IT EASY! It's not hard to burn your paint especially if its an older vehical with single stage paint. It you were to burn into your paint, you may be able to buff it out. There's usually hope.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes.....you can pickup a 3M Eraser Wheel at most Auto Stores and some Hardware Stores.