1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to Replace the Spark Plugs on a Silverado/Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by texasrebel01, Apr 29, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. texasrebel01

texasrebel01 New Member

Need help on how to change the spark plugs on a 2001 chevy truck with the 5.3L V8. I tried to pull the rubber boot out but it will not come out. Is there a special tool that is needed in order to get them out? Also is the metal cilindar thing that the boot hangs out of apart of it or is it just a covering where the plug and boot goes into.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  2. wheatley

wheatley New Member GMTC Sponsor

spin the boot left to right several times,this will help
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Needle nose pliers, with slight pressure to release the clasp inside the boot.
  5. liv2hunt

liv2hunt New Member

needle nose pliers. The hole metal boot comes off. Dont just grab the wire put them right on the metal boot and pull them off. I just changed my plugs on my 03 last week. Get a little piece of hose to put on the plug to get it started
  6. norcalbear05

norcalbear05 New Member

california gov. arnold would say "dont be such a guuurly man, pull haardaa!!"

lol jk.
  7. OR1976

OR1976 New Member

almost there

same as texasrebel

I talked to a supossed mechanic and he said to pull out the spark plug wires first. Also that after years of driving heat the wires can melt to the plug and get stuck. Not sure what to do. Liv2hunt if you just did it all go with 2 needle nose pliers and pull and twist and see what happens.
  8. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

To make this easier next time, take some conductive grease and put it on the ends of the spark plugs(where you plug the wires onto).