1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To Run Cables/Wires For A Powered Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ibmoses, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

I plan on installing a small powered subwoofer in my 03 Silverado Extended Cab. I guess I will install it under the rear seat on the drivers side.

Do you guys know of a write up or have any tips or recommendations on how to route/place the wires/cables?

For instance do I have to take the seat out and how do I get the rocker panel cover off?
    Or
    Can I somehow "fish" the wires under the carpet?

Thanks in advance.

Bert
  2. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

I have looked around and still found no good info on the routing of the wires...

Bert
  3. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid New Member

The way I ran my wires was from the engine bay under the drivers side floor pan, up through a hole there (cut a extra hole in the rubber grommet) and over to the door sill plate. then from there straight back to the rear seat...pretty simple set up, haven't had a issue at all with it.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm having a hard time envisioning that. Under the drivers side floor pan ... meaning the wires are exposed to the underside of the truck?
  5. fatmatt

fatmatt New Member

you need to take off the plastic molding that hold the carpet down next tothe seats, take the kick panel off, and run the wires from the battery through the fire wall under the carpet to the back seat. do not use a crappy plastic cased fuse because when they get hot they melt and can cause a fire, use a circuit breaker instead, well worth the money ($50) you will also want to run your RCA and remote wire on the opposite side of your truck, you may get feedback through your system if you don't. at least run your power wire next to the door and your RCA next to the tranny tunnel. also please use heavy duty wire not that crap you get at best buy. you'll get more power out of your amp and it will sound better. any other question feel free to ask, i've done a lot of systems. good luck
    Matt
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Rock on Matt, you know I've gotten feedback before on systems installed, maybe it was the wires being too close together.
  7. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid New Member

Yeah, technically...I wrapped my power wire in a plastic wrap though, and electrical taped it from the battery all the way to where it enters the cab.
  8. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

Thanks for the input guys!
    Its the small powered subwoofer made by Sound Ordnance.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

The kit from Crutchfield comes with the wiring and connectors and a fuse block. I hope its good enough stuff, I am sure it does not have a circuit breaker though...Hopefully the cables will be big enough for this little unit.

I will go try and figure out how to remove the kick panels and the door sill molding.

Sorry about all the pesky questions:

Whereabouts should I connect the positive cable under the hood ?

Thanks again.

Bert
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  9. Topdogdad1

Topdogdad1 New Member

call me, i can fill you in in about 10 minutes on EVERYTHING....267-240-0346 (Drew)

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

Matt, you have some good advice, the only downfall to running your RCA close to the tranny tunnel is gear noise due to the size of the trans and engine torque that the larger engines produce. I would rather suggest running your power and remote down the same side as the battery to prevent creating a ground loop(which produces an engine wine noise) and running the RCA down the opposite side door sill double coating in electrical tape if not the full length atleast the length of the door sill to prevent any interference from the wires already running down the door sill. Also the ground using is able to be attached to a seat mounting bolt with the appropriate connector ATLEAST 12" from the amplifier. Very good advice, i can see your experienced, i have also browsed some of your posts and you are very accurate in alot of things.
  10. fatmatt

fatmatt New Member

thanks, we're all just trying to help eachother out here. good luck with the install