1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how to run the power wire

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Burden33, Feb 10, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

Hey guys need help been looking at the truck to see where i can run my power wire for the amp and i cant seem to figuer it out, so how re you guys running them.
  2. Z-71

Z-71 New Member 100 Posts

Most run them through the factory boot...I didn't like that Idea,I wanted a more ''factory'' look so I found a good spot (in my case there was a dimple in my firewall) and drilled a hole then I installed this...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211FB4/StreetWires-FB4.html?tp=1283

It looks good and it is water tight,they also have a 0 gauge one there.
  3. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 New Member 100 Posts

You are gonna have to go through your fire wall most likely. Other solution is tho run it behind the front quarter panel into the cab the way, throught the door jamb, but youll be able to see it when you open the door.
  4. The Heater

The Heater Member 100 Posts

Hi, Burden33:

Mine in my truck is running through a dedicated hole and grommet. Depending on your current draw from the amplifier or amplifiers, you might be able to squeeze it through an existing hole. However, you want a short pathway, or relatively short, to the positive terminal of the battery. Make sure you have either a circuit breaker type fuse within 18 inches of the battery attachment point or fast blow fuse at that point. I use a circuit breaker so I can cut off the power at the battery to make any adjustments to the amplifier. In my new set up I will have more than one amplifier and will use an in line fast blow fuse near the battery and a fast blow fuse within 18 inches of the amplifier.

You may want to check the grounding. Short ground wire to the sheet metal. Generally you don't want to ground more than one audio accessory to the same point to avoid a ground loop. You can improve your ground by checking the ground wire from the battery, making sure the gauge is sufficient, and maybe running an additional ground from the ground terminal to the chassis and engine block. You can also run an additional ground to the back where the amplifier will be and bolt it to the frame, then run a ground wire from there to the floor. You could then ground the amplifier to that bolt. Just a thought, not something everyone will want to do. I got this information from an experienced auto electric expert (not an audio installer).

The ground wire for the amplifier should not terminate more than 18 inches from the amplifier.
  5. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mine runs from the amp to along the drivers side and then through the firewall....all alone....no company....
  6. The Heater

Keep Separate From Audio Signal Wiring

General rule is to keep all electrical power wiring separated from all wiring carrying audio signals. This avoids radio frequency interference caused by the magnetic field generated by electrical current in the electrical wire. If practical, run audio signal wiring on one side of interior of vehicle, the electrical wiring on the other side.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks for that link. I'll be doing 1/0 AWG from the second battery to the center console for an inverter project at some point and will need something like this to get through the passenger side of the firewall to the engine compartment.
  8. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

Signal interference and loss is dictated by the quality of RCAs you use and that's pretty much it. There is a myth that you shouldnt run RCA cables next to your 12v power feed but it's only a myth. The truth is 14.4vdc doesn't create a large enough magnetic field around the conductor to distort signal generation. That's coming straight out of my EE undergrad schooling. And experience in the trade.

You'll hear a salesmen say to run them separate the reason they do this is because of the shotty installs they see roll back into the shop, just thought I'd let you in on a trade secret ;)
  9. The Heater

Why don't you enlighten us with the written authority for what you are saying? Since you claim to be an "expert". Who is that authoritative figure that is making this statement?
  10. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As long as you are using good quality shielded cable, you can run 'em side by side all day without any problems. Besides, DC doesn't generate much in the way of RFI... only when you have a problem with the diodes in the Alternator which will cause it to start making AC power...

My qualifications: Upfitter/installer for emergency services vehicle communications and warning lighting systems: Fire trucks, police cars, ambulances, etc.