1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To: Seafoam

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by sheep, Aug 30, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sheep

sheep New Member 100 Posts

well since there arent too many How-Tos in this section yet i might as well add this one since i have seen many other forums have it but yet to see it on here anywhere

i am going to run through the steps to seafoam the oil, gas, and brake master cylinder line. if you have never heard of seafoam here is a link to thier website: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

personally i use it in my gas tank and master cylinder line, i havent tried it in my oil yet just becuz i have been told to change your oil soon after using it, not sure why, i just havent gotten around to the end of a oil change yet to add it.

i know this works from personal experience and the 100s of people that i have talked to on this and different sites that have also had it work.

things you will need:
    1: can of seafoam motor treatment(can be found at any autoparts store, and walmart)
    2: small cup
    3: a friend that can follow simple instructions

step 1 adding to oil(optional):
    1: add 1/3 can of seafoam to oil
    2: drive for probably a good 100-300 miles
    3: change oil, make sure you let it drain all out!

step 2 adding to gasoline:
    1. add 1/3 can of seafoam to gas tank
    your done!

step 3 running it through master cylinder vacume hose
    1. 1/3 can of seafoam in small cup
    2. remove vacume hose from master brake cylinder
    3. have buddy start the car and hit the gas while you Pour the seafoam in slowly
    4. as soon as cup is empty shut off car and wait 10min
    5. start car and rev engine and watch all the white smoke poor out the back
    6. after a few min of reving the engine drive the car around for a few miles while letting the RPMs get high

after this your car should run a bit better, this might not work as well on newer vehicles becuz they havent had 150k miles to build up a bunch of crap in there but it couldnt hurt anything i dont think.

if i missed anything feel free to PM me and ill add it
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member 100 Posts

i had posted this on another web site (FSB.com) and had a rep write in and said your step 3
    "3. have buddy start the car and hit the gas while the hose sucks up the seafoam"
    this should read 3. have buddy start the car and hit the gas while the Pouring slowly some SeaFoam
    if you just "suck" the fluide you might get too much and hydro lock the motor. i done the suck it in till it stalls many times and no issuse but the one time it can happen it will be a complete lose so i now pour as seafoam asaid and turn off the motor if it does not stall out.....mike
  3. sheep

sheep New Member 100 Posts

ok made the correction, thanks!
  4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member 100 Posts

never an issue. i just want to pass the correct way (i still done both ways but i feel bad if someones else lock-up a motor and pass the blame. so this will just help protect the informer....lol....mike
  5. tank5150

tank5150 New Member

yeah seafoam works great
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks for posting this, I actually just bought 3 cans of the seafoam last weekend at the recommendation of the members on this site. I hope it helps a little bit on my S-10, it only has 54,000 miles so I'm not sure if it will do that much or not but it's worth a try. I just have to wait for the weather to get better, and then I will tell you how my experience goes.:great:
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is Seafoam safe for O2 sensors & catalitic converters?
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

how to seafoam

Thanks for the info!!:great:
  9. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 New Member 100 Posts

Additives that contain Zinc poisons your cat converters, Seafoam does not contain Zinc. :)
  10. Senshi09

Senshi09 New Member

Wow, I didn't realize im only supposed to use 1/3rd of the can in the gas. I use the whole can... hope that doesn't mess things up.