1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to seal a chrome wheel!!

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by sweetassz71, Jul 24, 2010.

1. sweetassz71

sweetassz71 New Member

I am waiting on a new set of chrome wheels (24x10) that should be here 1st-2nd week of sept. They were not cheap so i am trying to find a sealant so i can protect them. I live on the beach in Delaware and the salt from the ocean will eat chrome up quick. What kinda of sealant would you guys recommend that works so i am not out buying different products to find the right one.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

To be honest ive never heard of any kind of sealants. All i do know is that if you use a good Polish it will also act as a sealant.
  3. sweetassz71

sweetassz71 New Member

I have talked to alot of chrome plating places and they said after you polish ur wheel to use a sealant to protect them almost like paint. zoop seal, poorboy's world wheel sealant are some that i have found.
  4. murdog94

Well i appreciate the heads up.. I guess i might talk to the same chrome plating shops and see if they have a good one.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I used to use Zoops when I lived in Virginia Beach, worked great.
    A little lesson I learned is make sure you do the inside and outside of the wheels, I know you dont really care whether its shiney back by the brake drums/rotors but thats where you'll get the most corrosion from the combination of salt and heat cycles.
    My daughter detailed my truck for me once right before I was goining on deployment, the truck wasnt driven that much that winter and when I came home it had corrosion on the backside of the wheels, one so bad it was leaking air.
  6. murdog94

IM learning more about beach salt compared to road salt more every day.. Seeing as our wheels corrode here but not that badly.. talk about a wake up call.
  7. SliverZ71

SliverZ71 New Member 100 Posts

One thing I learned the hard way is it doesn’t make a deference how much you pay for the wheels you need to make sure they are triple plated like the ones the factory aftermarket. I put a set on my 2004 Silverado and in 4 months the started to pit and you guessed it the warrantee didn’t cover it they said the salt from the ocean caused it I used mequires wheel wax on them every other week. After that I installed factory aftermarket and they have been on there three years without a mark on them.
    :cool: Steve
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 on the Zoop's. Works well, alittle time consuming to put on.
  9. sweetassz71

sweetassz71 New Member

yea thats what i heard from alot of people that x2 zoop is the way to go but if u dont lay it on thin u have to start over a try it again. did u have any problems using it?
  10. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Do you use on other chrome parts, like the steps or bumper? I've got a lot of chrome and have chrome polish, but haven't used it once yet. I'm on Long Island, but not close enough to the beach where it would affect my truck.