1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How To Shave Your Antenna

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by FrigginNoodles, May 4, 2011.

1. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Today I decided to shave my radio antenna from my truck. This was an idea I had gotten from another truck forum site.
    Before:[​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Step 1: Remove the black plastic trim piece from around your antenna. It is held on with three clips and is easily removed.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Unscrew your antenna from the mounted piece. You can spin your antenna to remove it from the mounted post. If you can't spin it with your hands, there are flat spots towards the bottom of the mast you can grab with pliers to loosen.

Step 3: Remove the antenna mount. There are three bolts holding the antenna mount in place. I was able to remove them with a 9/32" socket, but am unsure if there is a metric size that will work for these bolts.

Step 4: Reattach the mast to the antenna base. Screw the antenna base to a "L" bracket and tilt it down pointing under the hood. Screw in your antenna so it is under the hood pointing towards the front of the truck. Now attach the other side of the "L" bracket to where the antenna was originally mounted.
    [​IMG]

Step 5: Replace plastic trim and add zip tie to keep antenna from rattling under your hood.
    [​IMG]
    You now have a shaved antenna. You are left with a hole where the antenna came through on the black plastic trim piece, but it was there before so it isn't anything noticeable. Also, you can order a replacement trim piece from a Cadillac Escalade that will not have the hole for about $14. I placed a piece of black tape over the hole for the time being.

Trim piece with black tape-
    [​IMG]

Also, the radio reception seems to be just as good as with the antenna standing up, but will let you know for sure as I get out some more.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Nice mod, thanks for sharing.
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I did this mod about a year ago and I think it really cleans up the front end. You don't really notice the antenna but when it's not there the front of the truck looks a lot cleaner IMO. Plus it's a cheap, quick, and easy mod. Also, here is the part # for the Escalade trim piece: GM part #15287179
  4. FrigginNoodles

Thanks TELORVEHC for getting that part number. I totally agree with it cleaning up the front end a ton without really being noticeable. I found the "L" bracket laying around in my tool chest so this one was a freebie and only took about 15 minutes to do. Well worth the time.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

may have to do that.

Alex
  6. FrigginNoodles

Just an update on this, I did a lot more driving today and my radio reception is a little worse than it was before, but not horrible. It just seems to come and go a bit more than usual. I don't listen to the radio too much, usually only in the mornings on my way to work (Free Beer & Hot Wings Show). So overall I am still happy I shaved it. If I change my mind it's only a 5 minute thing to move the antenna back.
  7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Very cool...what's next?
  8. FrigginNoodles

I am working on restoring a diamond plate toolbox right now and want to do a DIY spray in bedliner. I have about 6 hours into the toolbox and probably another 3 to 4 before it is totally done. After that, I have no clue. I am running out of free/cheap mods. I am getting married next year and am trying to purchase a house as well, so money is a bit tight. I would love to do exhaust and especially a leveling kit with new tires. Any suggestions are more than welcome.
  9. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

you could also tape over the hole from the outside and then flip it over and fill the hole with an epoxy glue and paint it black again.
  10. FrigginNoodles

Great idea Clgloch! I think I may have to give that a shot.

Here is the toolbox I have been working on-

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]