1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HOW TO smoke your lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by mill8365, Mar 6, 2010.

1. mill8365

mill8365 Member

I looked around and found some write ups on how to smoke your lights using VHT Nite-Shades. But none of the write ups i found involved our gm trucks! This process can work for headlights and fog lights, too!
    ..So, here we go..

These are the things I used. Obviously you can use different things, but it worked great for me.
    VHT Nite-Shades (bought mine from Autozone)
    Duplicolor Clear Coat (again, bought it at Autozone)
    Some type of scratch remover
    Gloss polish (as you can see, I didnt have gloss polish, so I used chrome polish)
    A "wipe and shine" cleaner
    Painters tape
    Spray bottle with a water and soap solution.
    Microfiber cloth
    800, 1000, and 2000 grit "wet or dry" sandpaper
    Buffer
    [​IMG]

Directions
    1. Remove the taillights from the vehicle
    2. Tape over the holes on the back to prevent dust/paint from entering
    [​IMG]
    3. Sand the lights with 800grit sand paper to remove the clear coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4. In a well-ventilated area, spray on the Nite-Shades in even, light coats. Light coats are important to prevent runs. Also, its easier for you to decide how dark you want to go. I only did two coats, but should have gone one more.
    [​IMG]
    5. After you have gotten your lights how dark you want them and they have dried, its time to DRY sand them. With 1000grit sandpaper, sand the lights to remove any pits, scratches, etc. Wipe the lights off with the microfiber towel.
    6. Spray on the clear coat next. I did two heavy coats, but be careful not to let it run!
    [​IMG]
    7. After your clear coat has dried, spray the lights with the soapy water and wet sand with 1000grit sandpaper, then wet sand with the 2000grit sandpaper. Make sure its as smooth as it can get before buffing.
    [​IMG]
    8. Next, I tapped off the area around the lights to prevent anything from getting on the paint.
    [​IMG]
    9. Reattach the lights and buff with the scratch remover and buffer. I didnt need to push hard with the buffer. Just let it do its thing. Wipe of the excess with your towel.
    10. Next, buff with the gloss polish. Again, wipe off the excess.
    11. Wipe clean with the "wipe and wash" spray and BAM! Congrats, you have a set of tinted lights!
    If they didnt shine enough for you, repeat steps 9 - 11.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any questions, feel free to ask!!

Good Luck!
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Very nice write up! This will help a lot of people on here, thanks for posting all the pictures!
  3. bvogts25

bvogts25 Rockstar 100 Posts

wow! very nice write up! and they look really good on your truck!
  4. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for a great write up. I have been wondering how to do this and if it would be worth it on my truck. Thanks, yours looks great.
  5. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

Great write up And enjoy u posted up pictures Along with the steps
  6. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Thanks,Looks great. Mine are next
  7. mill8365

mill8365 Member

No problem, folks! And thanks for the compliments! ..Next weekend, head lights and fogs. :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Very nice job! Looks great! Thanks for the write up, and the pictures!:glasses:
  9. chschevy58

chschevy58 Rockstar 100 Posts

very very very good write up. might be doing this tomarrow.
  10. 1S1K

1S1K Rockstar 100 Posts

nicely done!

Hey that looks goood, hmmmmm....

nice write up well done, Great Info....