How to stop a massacre - armed citizen shoots back

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jul 26, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's just prudent. I do this, as well, for all except my personal/home defense firearms when I'm home.

My personal defense firearm is usually within arm's reach me or on my body while at home; the home defense firearm has a specific place in my home that is easily accessed but is not easily seen. (A locked-up personal or home defense firearm doesn't do you much good since it's not accessible.) Understand that I live alone ... so if someone's coming into my home and I'm not expecting them ... they likely need to be dealt with in a defensive fashion. If I had kids then the personal defense firearm would remain on my body even at home -- and be put into a quicksafe at the nightstand when sleeping; the home defense firearm would be locked up using a ShotLock or similar while I was home.

Anytime I'm not home my firearms are always locked up...

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

This is quite believebale/unbelieveable...BN's will be used instead of names

Today while going to cut grass, my cousin (Police Officer in the town) was called to find a little girl (16 y/o) who entered a shady house. I was riding with him to go cut grass at some apartments and he flipped on his E-lights in his personal vehicle. When we arrived at the location (right across the street from the apartments), he went to talk to the girl's mother who was across the street in the parking lot for the college about 100yds away. Another officer "121" was already on "scene" and talking with the girls mother and informed my cousin, "119" that her daughter went into the shady looking house. "121" does not carry a personal back up or a shotgun in his unit so "119" was well, unarmed. Other officers were tied up with traffic stops and accidents.

At this point "119" realized that I bring my pistol everywhere and ran back to his Tahoe to get it and the holster it was in and the extra magazine I always carry. "121" knocked on the door hard enough to knock it open (flimsy little door). "121" advised dispatch that they had an open door and entered the house. Inside, they found the guy inside getting dressed and reaching for his illegally owned (convicted felon) handgun and the lady's daughter trying to get dressed so they wouldn't catch them together. The man was arrested for illegally owning a firearm by a convicted felon, parole violation, and statutory rape.

I had my knee in a "Captain Morgan" pose on the trailer watching/hearing this unfold and was feeling damn glad I carried my pistol today and it helped someone even though I wasn't using it.

Only thing I'm going to hate is if I'm subpeona'd (sp?) :grrrrrr: for this crap but like I told "121" and "119" I didn't hear or see a thing :lol:

3. SurrealOne

I can understand the off-duty officer not having a firearm ... but the on-duty officer lacking one? That's ridiculous!

4. rileyjr16

Thats what I said. He's a rook and still hasn't bought a backup which I can understand but I still don't get the shotgun part either

5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Please accept this incident of what a LEO would do. 2 blocks from my home just a few weeks back a troubled teen who had been cut by several hispanic boys took his fathers .45 and also donned a flack jacket. He left home telling his mother he did not want anyone else to get hurt. Being a mother he called the Police. a squad car arrived and spooked the troubled teen. He fired 2 rounds at the retreating police car. Others arrived and cornered the young man and with out trying to talk him down opened fire, eventually making a fatal shot. The Sheriff stated that more than 4 shots were fired at the troubled teen. My friends who witnessed the shooting said it was more than 40 shots. No details as to the fatal shot position but many said he went looking to die. I say he went to get even and that is why he wore a bullet proof vest.
    My point is officers do not always show the restraint you speak of. Go to you tube and watch officers empty and reload shooting wildly at a suspect. Adrenalin is a huge factor of how many times the trigger is pulled. Especially in what one may consider life and death situations.
    By continuing to fire and be the aggressor this grandfather became a hero and saved many lives. Too bad he was in the movie theater down the road in Aurora when I was there. That armed idiot harmed many many innocent people. Sadly he was arrested and not killed on the spot.

I was married to a British woman who always talked about guns and how in her country they weren't allowed. I always told her that is correct but in America we don't plant bombs on door steps and then run like cowards.

Point being , take away guns and criminals find another more dangerous avenue to inflict pain on others.

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I know that, sadly, most are not like those portrayed in the moves
    Perhaps. Cowards will always find a away to justify their version of righting wrong.

7. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

I am by no means a homo, but if I were a woman I would snatch you right up. haha

I salute you sir! I am also an NRA member myself.

8. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Damn surreal you ate this one up, i can appreciate all aspects of this discussion however.

I live in Alaska, it still is very much the wild west attitude up here. I mean this in the sense that, would be criminals KNOW we are allowed to openly carry without a permit and they KNOW that in any given restaurant, cafe, theater..etc, there are probably more then one male/female not leaving the safety of their enjoyable outing up for chance.

Our crime rate by the number is pretty minimal. Per capita we are horrible! (only because our population is so tiny)

9. rileyjr16

lmfao.....

10. SurrealOne

RayVoy, please pardon the quote used to notify you; it seems user tagging is borked.

I stumbled across this video while perusing another (non-truck) forum that I frequent and figured I'd share it. It may lend those in Canada some perspective on why the U.S.A. has a right to keep and bear arms and holds it dear, as the video has a bit of a history lesson in it that's nearly classroom-worthy. Enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012