Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to tell if an engine has been rebuilt

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Michael Johnson, Mar 1, 2011.

1. I took the beast into my mechanics for a tune up and just an overall check up before I start doing any serious travel with it. Now here is the deal. The mechanic (a friend of mine) did the usual pull the plugs, which he said look brand new. Ok, that's a pretty common deal so it doesn't mean anything. However when he did the cylinder pressure test every cylinder came out between 176 and 179 lbs pressure. He did it twice because this rig has 190K on it and he just couldn't believe that an engine this old could have that consistant of pressure without being rebuilt. He also did the bleed down test on the cylinders and that also checked out golden. He did say that the valve cover gasket was after market but again that could have been changed without any further work being done on the engine. So this is my question. What should I look for that would give me an indication as to whether this engine has been rebuilt or not or if it has just been a really well maintained engine? Has anybody else have an engine with this type of mileage and this level of compression?