1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to turn off "Cargo Lamp On" & Lock a 2nd Row Seat

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Augie, Nov 18, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Augie

Augie New Member

Hello. I'm new to the site and hoping to learn about my new to me Yukon XL. At 85k, it has fairly low miles for this year Yukon. Thank you in advance for reading this and any help offered.

There are 2 things that bother me, one being a hazard.
    First I have a constant "Cargo Light On" warning. There are no lights on while driving or when all doors are closed. This is different from the "Cargo Door Ajar". Does someone know what this is deferring to and maybe how I could fix? Perhaps, just knowing what it's referring to, I may be able to fix.

The Hazard issue is the middle bench, it will not "lock" into the upright position. It is a 60/40 bench, and it is the larger part thag won't engage. The seat back is loose. I've been having a hard time figuring out the mechanics of the seat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope the seat isn't broken.
  2. Augie

Augie New Member

Ok. Finally took the time to figure out my second row seat...
    Still can't figure out what "Cargo Lamp On" means. Isn't that for a trucks' outside rear cab light??
  3. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah, the cargo lamp on is for the trucks. It should never come on in a Yukon, since the light is not there and there is no switch for it. This means you either have a wiring problem or an instrument cluster problem. I just looked up the connector diagram for the fog lamp/rear wiper switch, and the wire that would control the cargo lamp is in the same position as the wire that controls your rear wiper, so the problem isn't at that point in the wiring.

If open your dash up so you can get to the body control module, that would be a good place to start. One of the 3 plugs it has is purple. If that plug has a dark blue wire with a white tracer in top left position (while it is plugged in and you are looking at the side with the wires), check that wire. If it is shorted to ground somewhere, that could cause the cargo lamp message to come on.

That's really the only wiring thing I could find that could cause that message to come on in a Yukon, so if you don't find anything it's possible that you are looking at either an instrument cluster issue or a computer issue.

Good luck, and I hope this is helpful.
  4. Augie

Augie New Member

Thank you very much for your time and great info! That sounds right on. I wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong about it being a pick up lamp.
    I will take apart my cluster and see what I find. I will report back my findings.
    thx again.
  5. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Before you take your cluster apart, I would suggest taking off the knee bolster on the dash to get to the BCM there and check the wiring there that I had suggested above. It will be an easier starting point than disassembling the cluster.