1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to turn off the "change oil" light ~ 2006 2500 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by zuki82, Feb 20, 2014.

1. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

Howdy all! I have a 2006 2500, 4x4, with the 6.0 ! My change oil light came on, so I did, now how do I get the message cleared ???? I don't have the steering wheel with all the buttons, it just has the one button on the dash for the trip meter and to change to odometer, etc,etc!
    Thanks for your replies!!!
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

To Clear and Reset the Change Oil Light.....put the Key in the Ignition, and turn it to the On Position"Without starting the Engine".......Depress the Gas Peal to the Floor 3-Times, With-in 5 Seconds, if Done Correctly the Change Oil Light should Flash a Few Times, if it doesn't Flash, Just repeats the steps.

3. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

Thx Mike, I'll go give it a go!
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would add, when you put and turn the Key to the On Position, wait a couple of Seconds, before doing the steps I mentioned above.

5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

After doing the gas-peddal thing, the next time you start the engine, the oil light will flash some more as confirmation that the reset process was done correctly.
  6. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

I did as told, and between the 4 and 5th step on the pedal, the light started to flash , then it went to "oil change reset"! I turned the key off, then started the truck, and went about my business! Thanks guys!
  7. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Glad it worked. But you only have to pump the pedal 3 times.