how to up my MPG

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Andy_Panda, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanksphoebeisis for the info on the pulse and glide. That's what I've been doing the last couple of years driving and have noticed a measurable increase in fuel economy. I usually pulse up to about 40 to make sure it gets in to OD.

According to other GMTC forum members an electrical cooling fan system is one of the best ways to increase power and efficiency. There are several write-ups and posts that deal with that. One of these days I'll get around to doing it on my 99 Suburban.

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

FamilyForce
    Thanks.
    Yes the electric fan should improve FE-
    Our other car-Prius-has electrical fan electrical steering- electrical AC compressor-
    yeah anything you can do to take some constant load off engine-pulleys etc have to be spun even when they are clutched-good idea
    What sort of fan do the later 5.3's have?? If it is electrical-safe bet it is because electrical is more efficient-mpg and HP- a FREE LUNCH

I think our older 5.7 have clutched fans-helps some-but still losing mpg spinning that pulley

In the "old days" before clutched fans when our 1960's early 70's cars had EXTREMELY HEAVY fans- we would switch them out for FLEX FANS- light weight fans with blades so flex they would flatten out at higher RPMS and free up so HP. And they were lighter-so freed up some accelerating hp
    Back then those fans felt like 5-7 lbs

3. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

I remember installing a flex fan on my 75 Camaro and not only was it lighter but it increase in airflow was huge. Plus it was cool to see it flatten out when you pushed on the throttle. Though I read some posters that had experienced rivets loosening and blades flying off after time- YIKES!

4. phoebeisis

Family Force-yeah they were cool-put one on my 1971 383 Cuda in 1975
    yes they did seem a bit under built -I could picture those rivets letting go!
    But they were cool-and a cheap mod-that actually did what it claimed-more power for the wheels!

5. dobey

dobey Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Whether the newer trucks have electrical or clutched fans, depends on a few different things. The 5.3 in the 2004 Silverado Z71 I used to have, had a clutch fan in it. The 2009 Avalanche LTZ I have now has a 5.3 with flex fuel, and an electric fan. I think all the new trucks might be electric now, but not certain.

The Prius has an electric A/C compressor, simply because it would be impossible for it to have a belt-driven compressor on the gas engine, which is often not running when the A/C would need to be on. Hybrids that keep the gas engine idling while running off the electric motors, can use a belt-driven compressor.

The fully electric power steering is just common now, on cars. Manufacturers have moved to it, as it allows a greater flexibility in design, is cheaper to manufacture and install, and integrates well with other control systems in modern cars, such as ABS. This has been happening over the last 10-15 years.

And transverse layout drivetrains simply require an electrical fan, because the face of the engine is not at the front of the car, where the radiator is. This has been the case for decades. Nothing special about the Prius in that respect.

6. phoebeisis

Dobey
    Right-the Prius has to have the AC run off the battery-either that or no ac when motor cycles off-which is every time you lift off the gas much

7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

One of the best ways to get better MPGs is to simply use the vehicle's cruise control. Many studies have shown 7-14% better fuel economy when using CC while on the highway.

Another way that won't cost you any more money is to make sure the tire pressures are at their factory specification.

Clean air filter and regular PCV valve change intervals will help. New spark plugs and won't hurt.

8. Parkrat

Parkrat Member

My 01 was getting 18 mpg imp in city only, then i started using a fuel additive and after 3 tanks my mileage went up tp 24.5 mpg, all stock truck with 108000 kms.

9. dobey

dobey Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I see you're in Canada. Is that actually MPG or is it KmPG? Are you running your tires at 55 PSI? While a lighter 2WD truck with the 4.8 will get slightly better MPG than a heavier truck with a bigger V8, I don't buy that you're getting 24.5 MPG in pure city driving. My Honda that weighs about half as much and only has a 1.6L 4 cylinder, barely gets 26 MPG, driving mostly on roads that are 35-45 MPH speed limit. My Avalanche with a 5.3L with AFM and which I drive in 2WD only, also doesn't get anywhere near that. I'll buy the 24.5 KmPG though, as multiplying that times 0.6 gives 14.7 MPG, which is much more acceptable for a 2WD 4.8 Silverado LS.

10. Parkrat

Parkrat Member

Its 24.5 miles per imperal gallon or 20.4 miles per us gallon or 11.5 liters per 100 kms, and i run 38 psi front and 35 psi rear. I drive the truck weekends only, no rush hour so that helps a bit but its the additive that does it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.