1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how to up my MPG

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Andy_Panda, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steved

steved Former Member

Very well could be tires...not all tires have the same rolling resistance, even in the same size. I saw at least a 2mpg difference between the Pirellis and the Revo IIs I ran on my last truck...they were both LT265x70R17 load range E. The Revos really rolled hard, and it showed in mileage.
  2. dobey

dobey Member

That post wasn't a statement he made. It was something he copied off a web site. Interestingly, the owner's name is misspelled, in that supposed "endorsement" from him. I wonder if he even knows it exists.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

1) Right Tires wheels-all season not all terrain-unless you need All terrain-and keep the pressure to at least door panel pressure-closer to side wall max is even better-don't put bigger wider taller heavier tires and wheels on-
    2)Don't carry extra weight
    3) Glide up to red lights and other stops- stay off brakes-just gas up to speed-then get off gas in city driving-our GM transmissions glide forever-they act like they are in N when you completely lift off the gas-
    Mine doesn't downshift and engine brake until I glide down to 24-25 mph-
    GM designed them to get decent city mpg-to glide
    4) In tune etc-maybe occasionally use techron or some fuel system cleaner occasionally
    5) Use CC- AND DROP HY SPEED A LITTLE-Slight decrease in hy speeds- say 65 mph vs 71 mph saves maybe 2 mpg-
    on cruise control- all of our 96 on trucks(2wd subtract 1 mpg for 4x4) will get pretty close to 20 mpg at 65 mph-latest 5.3 would get close to 25 mpg with CC set to 65 mph or so-minivan mpg

Some else mentioned the cruise control-VERY VERY FEW drivers can beat CC mpg-and it wears you out to try-set that CC-let GM engineers do the work.
  4. dobey

dobey Member

Don't inflate to sidewall max unless you are placing max load on those tires you're inflating. You might get a very tiny increase in MPG with no load, at max pressure, but your tires will wear unevenly, so you'll have to buy new ones sooner. Keep the tires at an inflation pressure where they wear evenly across the tread, and you'll get the best MPG and best traction, and your tires will last longer. Plus you won't run the risk of heat buildup in the tire from increased flexing of the sidewall, that can lead to critical failure at the worst time. Buying a harder compound "low rolling resistance" tire will also help increase MPG, with a slight compromise in traction.
  5. phoebeisis

Dobey
    Yeah I wouldn't got sidewall max-except big load
    But closer to sidewall max is better than putting them at door panel
    because they all lose pressure-few lbs a month
    and most folks won't check too often
    So shading toward sidewall max-maybe exactly between door panel and sidewall max-
    will keep you above door panel for a month or two

BIG ASIDE- do new tire take a while for the bead to seat and seal well
    Just got cheap Hnakooks-short of $$-they were about $360 installed-walmart-for 3

For the 1st week or so-they lost maybe 1-2 lbs a day
    last week or so-they have held steady-no pressure drop to speak of
    Is this typical-bead seats seals over a week or two?
    Thanks
    Charlie
  6. dobey

dobey Member

Tires shouldn't lose that much pressure, and certainly not that quickly. I bought new wheels and tires for my truck back in May, and they've pretty much stayed at pressure since then. Maybe 1-3 PSI cold pressure was lost over the last 3 months, total, and I just had to put a tiny bit of air back in the other day. I bought them from TireRack and they came mounted/balanced/inflated. They certainly do not lose 1-2 PSI a day. If you are losing that much pressure, then either the bead isn't seated properly, or the wheels could be damaged (which could prevent a complete seal).

And always measure tire pressure cold (before driving anywhere, or after several hours of sitting unmoved).
  7. phoebeisis

Dobey
    Yeah-it was odd- 1st few days they lost 1-2 lbs per day or two days-same temp and when cold

But after 1 week-pressure loss stopped??
    Yeah I found that odd-I put 41 all the way around-checked after they were cool-40 psi

Two days later-35-36 psi-when cold
    Refilled to 40psi(actually 41 psi but pumping the air heats it a bit-so pressure drops naturally as temp drops)
    3 days later 35 and 36psi again-dropped 3-4 psi
    But now- 10 days later-still at same 35-36 psi??
    Yeah-odd-but they are cheap tires-can't remember this ever happening-but I follow tire pressure more closely now-who knows?
    You are Right always check in the am-dead cold-and air temp can make a big difference- bright sunlight on black tires-makes a difference also-so early AM is best.
    We alo pick up 2-3 psi going from sea level NOLA to Flagstaff AZ- 7000 FT

Folks waste lots of gas because they run well under door panel pressure-lotta folks rarely check tire pressure-
  8. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

Im sorry i'll correct that, the supposed opinion from the "gurls" about mpg gains is just that, opinion never tested, sum have it sum don't.
  9. dobey

dobey Member

Real scientific post. Thanks for all that overwhelming information in favor of your view. It really proves your point.
  10. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

My scientific, your scientific, mine was overwhelming for me, but yours is too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.