1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how to up my MPG

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Andy_Panda, Feb 11, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

And you're still acting like a child. Just because you believe something, doesn't make it true. I don't care what you're dumping in your tank, there's no way in hell you're getting 25 MPG from a petrol-fueled 4.8L vortec in a 5600 lb truck, in the city. Hell, I don't even buy that you were getting 18 MPG in the city before you dumped some junk in your fuel tank. Fuel system cleaner doesn't work that way.

Either you're running on smaller tires and haven't fixed the ECM to account for the difference, or your math is just plain wrong.
  2. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

Im right and so is my math, your just stuck in the old days when it couldn't be done, those days are over. I'll enjoy my mpg and let you pay through the nose for yours.
  3. donl

donl New Member 100 Posts

You should contact GM. They would pay handsomely for your secret.
  4. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

Its no secret, real popular around here, and just so you know im on tank # 5, most of the time you will get mpg gains for the first 6 tanks and thats it so im expecting a little better mpg on this tank, ill post that in a week or so.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Great discussion topic....
  6. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

I was busy doing some home renos so I didn't have much time to drive the truck but I did run it down to a little over half a tank, I had 378 kms on it so I topped it up and it took 43.5 liters, that's 11.5 liters per 100 kms or 24.48 mpg imp so it looks like that's all im going to get, still not bad for a big ride in city only.
  7. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

Please stop using British gallons and miles. They are completely irrelevant and only serve to inflate your claims, as the overwhelming majority of people on this forum are from the US, particularly those who were participating in this thread before you jumped in with wild claims.

If those numbers are actually true, then that's 20 MPG US, not the 25 you keep claiming. 20 MPG is slightly more believable, but not entirely so as city only, at least, not without a fairly stripped down truck.
  8. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

According to @Parkrat numbers:

43.5 L = 11.49 Gal US
    378 Km = 234.88 Miles

Fuel economy:

234.88 Miles / 11.49 Gal = 20.44 MPG

So yes, @Parkrat math SUCKS.

Still 20.44MPG is pretty good, but still an unbelievable number for city only driving. My 5.3L Silverado with ALL highway driving will easily achieve 20.44 MPG.

If @Parkrat was using Imperial Gallons, that figure would be 9.57 Imperial Gallons used and that would give him 24.55 MPG.

@Parkrat needs to know that 1.0 Imperial Gallon is 1.2 US Gallons.

The only way to achieve better MPGs with keeping everything the same (engine, transmission, gears, weight, etc.) is to put in fuel with more energy. I don't believe that dumping some additive in your gas tank will result is infusing the gasoline with more energy. If anything additives are usually not flammable and will detract from the fuel's energy.
  9. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

Bobey, go curl your hair.

- - - Updated - - -

Im Canadian and I use liters and imp gallons so my numbers are right, 11.5 liters per 100 kms or 24.48 mpg imp.
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is it so tough to get your facts and opinions out without it starting to get nasty? If this thread starts going down that road again, it'll be closed :)
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.