How widespread is the Castech head crack?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jutgin, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jutgin

jutgin New Member

I just wonder how big of a problem this has been since there must be 10's of thousands of these motors out there.
    I guess I am just concerned since I just bought one with the 706 casting.
    Should I nip it in the bud and go ahead and replace the heads now?
    I do have another question that may be easier to answer/talk about.
    Are all the 706 heads made by Castech? Or is that why you have to look inside to see the Castech marking?
    I know I have the 706 cause I can see it clearly on the outside of the head passenger side.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I found this about identifying the Castech heads. It does not indicate the 706 marking in the document. I have been searching for a few days and it seem as if no one has the answer to the question about only castech making the 706 head. I did locate some pictures that showed different font for the 706 number, but those posters never indicated if they found the castech logo inside.Sorry I can't help more.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla/2008-12-05_142924_Coolant_loss_5.3.pdf

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. jutgin

jutgin New Member

Thank you for the reply, I think I found the same thing you did. Seems like you must look inside to properly identify.
    The good news for now I guess is that I'm not loosing coolant. So nothing urgent at this time.

4. mad1500hd

mad1500hd Rockstar 100 Posts

i don't know if mine falls into this category...i have the 6.0 motor and just recently found a hairline crack on the passenger side head and was losing coolant...good thing it was under warranty...only cost me $75...so it could've been worse.