1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How widespread is the Castech head crack?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jutgin, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jutgin

jutgin New Member

I just wonder how big of a problem this has been since there must be 10's of thousands of these motors out there.
    I guess I am just concerned since I just bought one with the 706 casting.
    Should I nip it in the bud and go ahead and replace the heads now?
    I do have another question that may be easier to answer/talk about.
    Are all the 706 heads made by Castech? Or is that why you have to look inside to see the Castech marking?
    I know I have the 706 cause I can see it clearly on the outside of the head passenger side.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I found this about identifying the Castech heads. It does not indicate the 706 marking in the document. I have been searching for a few days and it seem as if no one has the answer to the question about only castech making the 706 head. I did locate some pictures that showed different font for the 706 number, but those posters never indicated if they found the castech logo inside.Sorry I can't help more.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla/2008-12-05_142924_Coolant_loss_5.3.pdf
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. jutgin

jutgin New Member

Thank you for the reply, I think I found the same thing you did. Seems like you must look inside to properly identify.
    The good news for now I guess is that I'm not loosing coolant. So nothing urgent at this time.
  4. mad1500hd

mad1500hd New Member

i don't know if mine falls into this category...i have the 6.0 motor and just recently found a hairline crack on the passenger side head and was losing coolant...good thing it was under warranty...only cost me $75...so it could've been worse.