1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Howdy

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by shilohlee, May 10, 2012.

1. shilohlee

shilohlee New Member

New member here.

So, about two weeks ago, the beater I was driving was slowly falling apart before my eyes, and I decided I couldnt take it any more, so I took a few $k, went looking and that afternoon, bought a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4.

I gotta say, I really love it! It's been several years since I've driven a truck, and I'd never owned a full-size, but I've really taken to this thing.

I'm still figuring out a few things. It's skidded a little in rain here and again, although the tires look good. I am curious as to what's considered the optimal tire size, style and brand. Also I haven't owned a 4x4 previously, so I'm still learning how to use that feature.

If anybody has suggestions or advice about those or anything else specific to these trucks, maintenance, particular issues or recommended upgrades, feel free to chime in!

Thanks.

2. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

Normal tire sizes would be 245/75/16 and 265/75/16. There are several brands on the market and it mostly comes down to personal preference and what you're looking to spend. And if you need any sort of off road traction. I have Goodyear Duratracs which are supposed to have a great wet surface control, but I can light 'em up rather easily with any rain. I would stick with a reasonably priced A/T from one of the major companies. (Goodyear, Nitto, Toyo, firestone, BFGoodrich, Kumho etc.)

3. shilohlee

shilohlee New Member

So I double checked and it already has 265 Firestone A/T's on there and they look pretty good, so I'll just stick with that for now. As soon as I get the chance I'm gonna get a K&N air filter and flush all the systems, prob switch to high mileage synthetic. And a tow hitch. It's got the package, just not the hitch.

4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you as part of our team. :glasses:

5. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

That's a very good thing to do. Get all the maintenance on your schedule so you know when it needs to be changed. K&N is definitely a nice add on and I use High Mileage Mobil 1. Great stuff!

6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard. Congrats on the new truck. You'll find lots of good info on here. Post some pics when you got 'em

7. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Catching up on what the previous owner failed to do would be a priority . Do some research on your filter selection to weigh the pros and cons.

8. shilohlee

shilohlee New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I see myself driving a full-size Chevy/GMC for the foreseeable future.

9. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Group maybe when apocalypse arrives you can meets us in all the rubble:lol:

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Maybe? LOL!