1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hub Centric vs Non Hub Centric?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 1flyfisher, Jan 31, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member 100 Posts

Does it make a difference?
    I see a lot of wheels come in hub centric and non hub centric versions. I understand that a hub centric wheel has the exact same center bore as the stock wheel and fits exactly but is there a disadvantage to a non hub centric wheel?
    So a shim or spacer goes in there on a non hub centric right?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hub Centric and Lug Centric are the type wheels your refering to, vehicle manufacturers have a set standard they build to, when purchasing replacement wheels you normally have to purchase wheels conforming to that type, GM's arent as sensitive to this normally though and depending on the wheel type can sometimes use either one.
    Toyota's are very bad about this and it's almost impossible to run lug centric wheels on them.

Hub Centric means the wheel is aligned on the axle according to the center point of the axle hub.
    Lug Centric means the wheel is aligned on the axle according to the center point of the lugs.
  3. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member 100 Posts

I believe with the 2010 GMC Savana I can go with either hub centric or non hub centric.
    Well at least when I look for wheels on various websites like tirerack with their wheel fitment guide/ locator both types come up as being able to work.

So is there any difference? Is one type better than another in that situation?
    I read some where that if you use a non hub centric wheel you can get vibration.