Hub Centric vs ring centering rims

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bob13, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hello everyone, I am having trouble with my newly purchased rims. The shop I deal with is trying to sell me on getting Dick Cepek DC1 Rims. They come with a hub centering ring, they are not hubcentric! My question is; Is anyone running rims with the centering ring. I hear all kinds of rumors, does anyone have any opinions or facts concerning hub centric vs centering ring. The original rims I bought are ULTRA MOTORSTORTS/ Rogues they are hub centric but there is a problem with them. I am torn between getting 4 new ultras or going with the Cepeks. The Cepeks are 1/2" wider (9") and have a backspace of 4.5" with a -13 offset. I am afraid they may stick out way to far. Lets hear what you guys think, Thanks

P.S. Anyone running these rims

Attached Files:

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've seen those rims on many trucks around town and while they are a good looking rim I think they have too much negative offset for a lot of applications, Bob, you didn't say what the offset on the ultra's was. Also if there is a problem why isn't the tire store going to make it right instead of trying to "sell " you something else. I'm not sure how the centering ring works but hubcentric rims are designed to fit the hub precisely and thus eliminate vibration from rims not being seated properly.

3. bob13

Part of the reason is my fault, I don't have a lot of confidence in the ULTRAs now. They will not charge me to change to the Cepeks and actually the Cepeks are more expensive (doesn't matter to me). The offset on the ULTRAs was around 24mm I believe with the factory rims having a 31mm offset. That was part of the reason I went with the ULTRAs. My factory 17" rims have a 4.5" backspace just like the ULTRAs and the Cepeks but the Cepeks have a -13mm and are a 1/2" wider than the ULTRAs. (7.5" factory, 8.5" ULTRAs, and 9" Cepeks) I am not running a very large tire, 275/65/18 which has a diameter only .4" larger than the stock 265/75/17. The "rings" are designed to "Make" the rims hubcentric by filling the gap between the hub and the rim. What do you think? I do not kow anyone that is using the rings.

4. adampaul1964

The way I figure, the Cepeks are going to stick out 2 inches past the ultras, the difference being 1 1/2 inches of offset and 1/2 inch of rim........Theoretically!

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would find a wheel that is hub centric as they fit better. Also have a couple o Silverados around here the the Cepeks and I think they just stick out to far. Just my opinion.

6. bob13

Thanks for the input, anybody else?

7. bob13

Well, they didnt send the centering rings with the Dick Cepek rims so we mounted the new set of ULTRA motorsports rims and .....the problem is still there, then we mounted a different set of tires on the rims and the problem is still there and then we mounted the factory rims and tires AGAIN and the problem goes away. Tomorrow hopefully the centering rings will be here and we will try the Cepek rims........Am I the only person on the planet with this problem???? I am ready to give up and forget about new rims and tires:confused:

8. adampaul1964

Sorry to hear that Bob, I don't get it either. It's gotta be the way the rim is seating on the hub, hope you can figure it out, I mean what the hell, everybody else gets to run fancy rims you should too! :neutral:

9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Here is a crazy idea to think about, MAYBE it's your chosen shop that is messed up and not the wheels. Just because they are ASE certified doesn't mean they can't screw anything up, I think If that was me I would be going to a different shop. Get a refund and try someone else, I have bought 12 sets of custom rims in the last ten years and I have never had this problem and I have never had to decide between a hub centric or centering ring? I have bought Mickey Thompson, Cragar, Weld Racing, American Racing, Colorado Custom, and I have never had anyone ask me the stuff about rings, you get what you pay for I guess. Good luck with the wheels,...............AMY

10. bob13

I am going to the dealer tomorrow with the after market rims on and see what they say, after that I am going to take the rims and tires to someone else, take the sale to someone else I mean. I watched them do every part of the mounting and can't imagine what to do different. The shop I am using are trying but............... I can't figure it out. AAARRRGGGHHH