Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

HUMMER H3 Alpha first stock class vehicle to finish 2008 Baja 1000

Discussion in 'Hummer Forum' started by ChevyFan, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Team HUMMER clinches stock class season championships with strong Baja performance

[​IMG]

DETROIT – Team HUMMER once again demonstrated the inherent off-road capability of the HUMMER H3 as Chad Hall piloted his stock-full class #861 H3 Alpha to become the first stock class vehicle to finish the 2008 SCORE International Baja 1000.

The 2008 Baja 1000 marked the 41st anniversary of the grueling off-road race and covered 631.36 miles, starting and finishing in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. It ran from November 21-22, 2008.
    Hall’s race in the H3 Alpha was virtually trouble-free with only one flat tire to repair during the entire race. Hall finished the race in 19 hours 22 minutes 47 seconds, averaging a speed of 32.58 mph. Hall’s victory marked his seventh Baja 1000 class victory and secured his first-ever SCORE International stock-full season points championship.

“I’ve raced HUMMERs in stock-full since 1993 and this is my first SCORE stock-full championship,” said Hall. “I was skeptical when they first asked me to race the Alpha, but race-after-race this truck has proven to be faster and more reliable than a lot of the higher horsepower trucks we compete against.”
    Hall’s victory marks the second consecutive Baja 1000 in which he and the H3 Alpha were the first stock truck to cross the finish line. Hall also recorded class victories at this season’s Laughlin Desert Challenge and Baja 500.

Team HUMMER owner and off-road legend, Rod Hall celebrated his 71 st birthday by piloting the stock-mini #760 HUMMER H3 to a second place finish, securing his third consecutive stock-mini season points championship.

Hall partnered with Mike Winkel to finish the race in 22:51:17, despite two flat tires and a steering seal failure caused by an impact with a large boulder.

“We ran a strong race, but just couldn’t make up the time we lost due to the early impact,” said Hall. “But it was enough to secure our third season championship in the H3, which speaks volumes about that truck’s durability and competitiveness.”

Hall’s season was highlighted by victories at the 2008 SCORE Laughlin Desert Challenge, Baja 250 and Baja 500.

Josh Hall piloted Team HUMMER’s third entry, the #863 stock-full HUMMER H2 SUT to a third place finish after battling the desert and mechanical problems throughout the race. Hall and the H2 crossed the finish line in 24:50:06.

“It was a tough day for us and the team did a great job keeping the truck running for the finish,” said Josh. “We’ll take a look at the truck and components and get it dialed in to race for the Best in the Desert stock full season championship next month.”

All three Halls and their HUMMER trucks are in position to secure the stock class season championships at the Best in the Desert racing association’s final race, the Henderson FabTech Desert Classic, December 5, 2008, in Henderson, NV.

One of the three Halls has been the driver of record on a class-winning team in the SCORE Baja 1000 for the eighth straight year and 12 th time in the 15 years-history of the stock class. With 30 class wins, the Halls continue to be the winningest family in the history of the race.

About Team HUMMER
    Team HUMMER was founded by legendary off-road racer Rod Hall in 1993. Since then, Rod and his sons Josh and Chad have compiled 14 class wins at the Baja 1000; countless podium finishes in the Best in the Desert (BitD) Racing Association series; and five BitD class championships. Team HUMMER competes with the H3, H2 SUT and H3 Alpha in the stock class, which features production-based vehicles with stock frames, stock suspension designs and production-based engines. For more information about Team HUMMER, visit www.rodhallracing.

About HUMMER
    HUMMER is a division of General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest vehicle manufacturer, which employs about 266,000 people globally. HUMMER is one of the world's fastest growing truck brands, with a product line-up that consists of the H2, H2 SUT, H3, H3 Alpha and award-winning H3T. HUMMER models are available today in 37 countries around the globe.

2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Man I'd love to run the baja someday even as a navigator it'd be sweet. There's a movie out called Dust To Glory that's all about Baja.

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would sure like to be able to see part of that race, first hand, one of these days.

4. 64C10

64C10 Member

NBC will air the 2008 Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 on December 14, 1:00 p.m. ET (subject to change)

5. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm still not convinced theat the H2 or H3 are really all that good at of road. The H2 has a high vertical profile with a comparatively narrow wheel base. I don't know, call me old fashioned but I'd rather take the original Hummer (HMMWV) from the Marine Corps and blow away all the competition.:fighting0034: