Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hunting Season

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by GaryL, Sep 16, 2008.

1. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, deer season is just around the corner, are all you hunters getting ready? I just started on a new deer lease in Concho County, Texas and have been busy getting everything set up.

Here's a picture of my new blind. I still need to add some 4 foot legs to lift it up a bit, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple of pictures from the game camera I set up a few weeks ago. Looks like it will be a productive season. Notice the spotted deer on the left? That's an Axis buck. They are not native to Texas, so you don't need a tag to take one and you can take them at any time of the year. They are far better eating than whitetails.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone else getting the fever?
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Damn you Gary! Nice pictures you have there LOL!
    Heck yeah I'm getting the fever already! My first hunt will be a muzzleloader elk hunt opening Oct. 4th-7th, Then a Modern Rifle deer hunt from the 15th-19th. Then a late Elk hunt in late November.
  3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Bow hunting here.

Well, not so much a bow hunter as a sit there and go "Awwww!!!" when I see a deer.

On my third year and haven't taken one yet. But I get to sit off my back deck to 'hunt'. I back right up to the trees and the deer have a trail that run about 30 yards all across the back. Nice downshot.
  4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i mosty bird hunt (dove, duck, goose) looks like your goin to have a good year :great:

ps does anyone have any land that they know of/ have that is willing to let a few bird hunters onto for the an up weekend soon??? :)
    or any leases (in texas of course) :neutral:
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have a house / weekend place for sale in a hunting hotspot in Missouri - that count? :glasses:
  6. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've never been deer hunting. one of my buddies is going to take me this year. I'm looking forward to it. i dream of it ever night.
  7. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

hey, how hard is it to get a elk tag this late on? i wont be there till the first week of october, is that gonna be too late to draw one?
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No drawing required. In Washington State you are allowed to buy 1 elk tag and 1 deer tag before or during the specified seasons. They do offer special permit drawings in June for special permit hunts like for anterless animals or more controlled areas that they limit the number of hunters in. Come units they only draw 5 permits for and always have a thousand or more applicants. If you put in for a drawing and do not get drawn, you earn points. the more points, the greater chance of getting drawn.
  9. zach45

zach45 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

beautiful 8 man...
    i only shoot bow which is oct 18-nov?and i only shoot bucks..theres no need to shoot doe.
    so far in my 3 years of hunting i have taken 2 shots and killed a 4 pointer and a 3 pointer.
    so you can say im like a marine lol
    i shoot shotgun.. but only birds
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  10. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have killed bigger bucks the past two years, so I will probably let this one walk. My 11 year old daughter on the other hand is itching to kill a buck bigger than her brother got last year, so if this guy shows up when she's hunting with me, I'll let her take him.

I take at least one doe per year to try to keep the buck to doe ratios down and besides, the does are more tender than the bucks.