GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hunting Season

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by GaryL, Sep 16, 2008.

1. GaryL

GaryL New Member

Well, deer season is just around the corner, are all you hunters getting ready? I just started on a new deer lease in Concho County, Texas and have been busy getting everything set up.

Here's a picture of my new blind. I still need to add some 4 foot legs to lift it up a bit, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple of pictures from the game camera I set up a few weeks ago. Looks like it will be a productive season. Notice the spotted deer on the left? That's an Axis buck. They are not native to Texas, so you don't need a tag to take one and you can take them at any time of the year. They are far better eating than whitetails.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone else getting the fever?
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

Damn you Gary! Nice pictures you have there LOL!
    Heck yeah I'm getting the fever already! My first hunt will be a muzzleloader elk hunt opening Oct. 4th-7th, Then a Modern Rifle deer hunt from the 15th-19th. Then a late Elk hunt in late November.
  3. Springthing

Springthing New Member

Bow hunting here.

Well, not so much a bow hunter as a sit there and go "Awwww!!!" when I see a deer.

On my third year and haven't taken one yet. But I get to sit off my back deck to 'hunt'. I back right up to the trees and the deer have a trail that run about 30 yards all across the back. Nice downshot.
  4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member

i mosty bird hunt (dove, duck, goose) looks like your goin to have a good year :great:

ps does anyone have any land that they know of/ have that is willing to let a few bird hunters onto for the an up weekend soon??? :)
    or any leases (in texas of course) :neutral:
  5. Springthing

Springthing New Member

Have a house / weekend place for sale in a hunting hotspot in Missouri - that count? :glasses:
  6. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

I've never been deer hunting. one of my buddies is going to take me this year. I'm looking forward to it. i dream of it ever night.
  7. 383man

383man New Member

hey, how hard is it to get a elk tag this late on? i wont be there till the first week of october, is that gonna be too late to draw one?
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

No drawing required. In Washington State you are allowed to buy 1 elk tag and 1 deer tag before or during the specified seasons. They do offer special permit drawings in June for special permit hunts like for anterless animals or more controlled areas that they limit the number of hunters in. Come units they only draw 5 permits for and always have a thousand or more applicants. If you put in for a drawing and do not get drawn, you earn points. the more points, the greater chance of getting drawn.
  9. zach45

zach45 New Member

beautiful 8 man...
    i only shoot bow which is oct 18-nov?and i only shoot bucks..theres no need to shoot doe.
    so far in my 3 years of hunting i have taken 2 shots and killed a 4 pointer and a 3 pointer.
    so you can say im like a marine lol
    i shoot shotgun.. but only birds
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  10. GaryL

GaryL New Member

I have killed bigger bucks the past two years, so I will probably let this one walk. My 11 year old daughter on the other hand is itching to kill a buck bigger than her brother got last year, so if this guy shows up when she's hunting with me, I'll let her take him.

I take at least one doe per year to try to keep the buck to doe ratios down and besides, the does are more tender than the bucks.
  11. zach45

zach45 New Member

i hear you... i usually give my doe tags to my pops if he even wants to use them...plus doe tags are very hard to get now..

and here in NewyorkState big bucks are not to common..a nice 6 or 8 theres only 1 or 2 around a season...
    there are, but rare, big like 10 and at least once a year we hear of a 12or so getting shot..
  12. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

I've had buck fever for like 2 months now! Ever since my mom told me about the big 12 and 8 points that she has seen on the ranch a couple times. I didn't kill one last year because I let my fiancee take her first buck. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it out there to hunt since it's about a 7-8 hour drive from here. It might be around Christmas time before I can get out there, but I hope not!
  13. GaryL

GaryL New Member

Here's some more pics from my game camera that I pulled off this past weekend.

Looks like the bucks have finally lost their velvet.
    [​IMG]

Don't quite know what to think about this one:
    [​IMG]

Here's a few does and fawns having a snack.
    [​IMG]
  14. Jungle

Jungle New Member

Deer is pretty good meat, not bad
  15. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member

ive only been bird hunting a few times and i plan on gettin myself a shotgun over the winter. my brother has been gettin into bow hunting out in PA where he goes to school but down here in south jersey i have no clue where i would go. nice lookin deer tho take one for us!!
  16. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

I have four shotguns and a .22. I've never been deer hunting and i'm about reaady for a new gun. All of my 5 are either my dads' or grandpa's. That and it's hard to find shells for 16 ga shotguns. I have one 20 ga. It's a semi-auto. The rest of em are double barrel. I'm looking at getting a rifle. Any suggestions?
  17. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

Lots to take into account with getting a new rifle (what you will use it for, availability/cost of ammo, budget, etc.) My deer rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06. My dad reloads our ammo, which is nice :) If you're looking for a deer rifle, the smallest you would probably want to go would be a .243 (what my mom shoots), and I wouldn't see the need in going any bigger than a 7mm mag. Lots of calibers in between to choose from (some more popular than others). My suggestion would be to start looking online and see what you like.
  18. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

I've been looking and I'm not sure if i want a 30-30 or a 30-06. I'm even considering a 12 ga. and using maybe buck shot for deer. Or slugs? i've never used a slug.
  19. 383man

383man New Member

i've used a .308 all my hunting life with great success. little kick, midrange power, and i've killed deer, elk, bear, everything with it, it does the trick
  20. asstda2b

asstda2b New Member

My father goes every year. except one year when he didn't get in for any state he picked. so he went pig hunting (did i mention we are still eating pork). He is counting the days. He loves it. He has a whole group. this year they are going to Utah. He has been to the shooting range twice to sight his guns and he has been packing. he is usually gone for two weeks.

The frist deer his every shot, is hanging above our fireplace. my mother was so happy when it fell in the earthquake, but we had it fixed so it is back up. We always put a santa hat on it around xmas time.