1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hurricane Earl Tips: Avoid flood damaged cars, autos, vehicles

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Megasaurus, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Member 100 Posts

Batten down the hatches everyone on the east coast, looks like Hurricane Earl is coming at you. Who's on the site that will be affected?

Watch out in the next six months for flooded out vehicles that will get a new salvage title issued too.

Anyone bought a flooded out car before for salvage, or gotten what turned out to be a salvaged car?
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We are still recovering from our last flooding. Many of the bridges that were affected previously are still out or under repair. Should be fun times.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hurricanes suck. We lost our house back in '05 down in Florida. Luckly we had good insurance.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

How far inland are you up there?
  5. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord New Member

Here's a pretty good test to see if the vehicle you're looking at has ever been flooded...

Reach way up behind the dashboard and feel around for dirt or other debris. They can clean the vehicle really good, but they can't clean everywhere! I did this one time when looking to buy a used car...the salesman freaked out! The car was clean though. :)
  6. TrailLeadr

About 21 miles as the to the ocean, and about 5 miles from Greenwich bay (as the crow flies)
    My house is on a pretty sizable hill, so I have no concerns about flooding there. After the last flood they said that about 70% (this figure is questionable) of the bridges here are barely safe for normal traffic. I can only imagine how many more bridges we may lose.

That's very good advice!:great:
  7. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well i read tonight while at work that it went thru your area howd everything seem to turn out??
  8. TrailLeadr

Did it? lol

Just had about a day of rain. I would be surprised if winds got over 20mph at all. The coast might have gotten it worse, but where I was it was just wet.
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well i would take that as a good thing. When i was living in Ga we had several Tropical Storms etc move over and they werent fun....