Hurricane Gustav

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Aug 30, 2008.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just wondering how many folks are in the projected path for Hurrican Gustav?

Looks like it may hit anywhere from Texas to Mississippi with New Orleans right in the middle.

2. kid clever38

kid clever38 New Member

Yah i LIVE nowhere close to where Gustav (what kind of name is that for a hurricane??) is going to hit but just my luck I'm going to be flying into the area on Monday! Well, as long as it stays away from the FL panhandle I'll be okay but if it steers right towards Tallahassee then i'm SCREWED!! But it will make for a really easy work week! :glasses:

3. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Centrtal TX here. But I'd be a little surprised if it decided to head this way. There is only one computer model that shows it heading this way. All of the rest are definately in favor of land fall right around New Orleans. In fact, we'd be lucky to even see any rain from it!

4. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most of my friends in New Orleans are evacuating today. Even if it's not a direct hit most people believe the leves just wont hold. I'm glad I don't have to go through it again ( I was there for katrina) but hopefully everything works out for the rest of them.

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm here right outside of New Orleans, and I'm going to be riding it out at the house. I'm fully expecting New Orleans to be flooded and that the levees will most likely break in at least one place. I'm going to try to post pics and notes whenever I can.

6. ChevyFan

How many miles outside New Orleans are you?

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm in Slidell, something like 30 air miles out of New Orleans, about 55 miles by car. I'm on the other side of Lake Ponchartrain from New Orleans by I-12

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm in River Ridge -4 miles due W of New Orleans- about 1 mile from the river,and maybe 3.5 miles S of the lake.We didn't flood during Katrina, but lots of Jefferson parish(the "county" next to Orleans parish) did.

I'm optimistic about the levees and floodwalls. They are much better than they were.Some -on the eastern approaches to NOLA - will certainly be overtopped by a 15-20 foot surge.

I don't expect the same sort of event as Katrina, but I didn't expect Katrina to be Katrina either.

Crawdaddy, the most recent forecast shows the nothshore -Slidell/Mandeville etc will be absolutely hammered by the surge-15-20 feet. You aren't too close to the lake are you???

We were going to ride it out. Now were going to wait until mid day Sunday.If it is still projected to be a direct hit, and a Cat 4 we will pile in the Suburban(3 adults, 4 cats, on greyhound) and the Prius and head W then N. This is the reason we have the Suburban.We can't leave the pets behind. The cats travel in one of those big folding dog crates. The Suburban is big enough to swallow it up,and still leave enough room for us.

The dog -Phoebe-will probably ride shotgun with my son in the Prius. I would leave it behind (great car but we can all fit in the Burb) and cross my fingers , but my wife insists we aren't leaving it. It is easier to travel in just one vehicle, but....not worth an argument.She always has lots of pictures, family stuff she hauls on evacs,so it qwill be stuffed also.

Luck,
    Charlie
    Crawdaddy- how close to the lake are you? Do you have any elevation there in Slidell.

9. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

fuel is already getting hard to find. 10% of Shells in New Orleans, Slidell and Lafayette are already out of gas. Make sure to fuel up any and all cans and your trucks as soon as possible.

10. ChevyFan

Ground zero - operation command for FEMA relief is in Fort Worth, they're doing their best to make certain that they get this response better. I think the new Govenor should help out, looks like Ray Nagan doesn't want to field all the questions of what he did before this time. Looks like the preperation is great, thumbs up and best wishes to everyone on this, hopefully it'll hit somewhere sparcley populated.