Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hurricane Ike - Texas Coast - South Texas

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Sep 7, 2008.

1. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

The gas prices over here are going up because of Ike heading toward texas. The only stations that arent going up are the ones that are getting foreign oil.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

IKE is going to be bad. I'm in River Ridge Louisiana -4 miles West of NOLA. 30 mph winds started here at 1pm yesterday ,and are still blowing 21 hours later. IKE has brought a LOT MORE RAIN than Gustav ,and much longer lasting winds. The winds were maybe 60 mph with Gustav, but we were just 60 miles from its center. We were never closer than 260 miles from the center of IKE- it is a much bigger, wetter storm with more surge.

Good luck to Houston metro and Lake Charles. They will have some surge(Galveston will have huge surge), but lots of wind and rain flooding. Their power will be out for days/weeks.

Charlie

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ike looks like it fills up almost the entire Gulf Coast! How can a storm be THAT big?

Saw this quote: Hurricane Ike is following a track similar to the 1900 Galveston hurricane that killed 8000 people, the deadliest storm in US history

We're fortunate to live in a country that was founded on the principles of helping people, learning about the environment and protecting life. That's why we have evacuations ... an attempt to saves lives.

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

"Surf's up" in Galveston! I lived in La Porte for 25 years and I was told they evacuated it yesterday (right next door to Deer Park). We were at 14' elevation where I lived and the "surge" is expected to be between 15' to 20'. I sure hope all goes well for those staying.

6. ChevyFan

7. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

im right smak dab in the path of ike :(
    were suppose to get cat 4 or 5 surge
    there are alot of nearby cities that are on the water and they are alrady have lottts of flooding ..and the thing has not even made landfall... my family and i have decided to stay ... i am thinking that is a bad idea .. we have never flooded but this may be the big one.
    i am very concerned thatmy truck may get water
    my city is not evac but most are that are around us (im in deer park tx )
    city officals are expecting us to loose power so it may be a few weeks before i regain power/internet
    this one is goin to be bad... is anyone else close to me??
    they are expecting the whole island of glaveston to be under water ..

:neutral:

8. ChevyFan

Wow, well I wish you the best. If you can get out, it might not be too late. I looked up Deer Park and your elevation is only 24 feet, so you might get wet it looks like. :neutral:

This storm is HUGE, so it's about to hit you pretty hard. We're expected to get 45 MPH winds starting tomorrow and we're hundreds of miles inland.

9. ChevyFan

Here's Deer Park, it's the red dot in the greater Houston area.

[​IMG]

Here's the overall Hurricane:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

and booooom
    SRAIGHT @ ME!!!

I would like to leave but my family does not want to
    we have a generator and plenty of supplies
    we boarded up the windows ...with fence pickets :lol:
    the Boliver Penn. is under water @ this time ...
    the storm is expexcted to hit @ 2am and be a weaker cat 3 with storm surge of a cat 5
    i may not have a truck by this time tommrow .. and wont have power
    i pray for all in the wrath of this storm

God Bless