1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hurricane Irene.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Sierraowner5.3, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

Well, just to share my frustration a bit. Hurricane Irene is on its way here. VB is right in the crosshairs so to speak. Should be here late saturday early sunday. the unfortunate thing is my leadership here is not being proactive at all. A cat 3/4 hurricane is knocking on the door, and they seem more worried about issued equipment inspections. they wont tell us if were going to evacuate or what. Part of me just wants to split but i really can't do to money issues.

Not sure if I really should even be posting this but im so frustrated and stressed and pissed I don't know what I should do.

Good luck to anyone else on the east coast.

Alex
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

We lost our home in '05 when living in Florida to hurricane francis. A cat 3/4 hurricane is not to be taken lightly. If you don't leave try to get a generator, gas, water and canned foods. (spam and canned beans are great, can eat without cooking). You need two weeks worth of food. You have to take care of yourself, don't depend on FEMA. If you decide to leave you need to go now so you don't get caught up in a giant traffic jam. Good luck and stay safe.
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

That sucks!! Hopefully, Irene will change her path back out East and away from land. If/when the day/time comes in which a decision needs to be made about whether to stay or go....err on the side of staying safe. The money is not worth the risk...plus, God forbid if you do get injured, then you will probably end up with less $$ anyhow. I definitely feel your frustration but you gotta take care of yourself and loved ones first!
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

After being stationed in Norfolk/VaBch a couple different times I can tell you commands there wont issue any evac orders until its positive Irene is hitting the area.
    All evac orders come from NAVCOMLANTFLT before any command can do anything official, in the past some commands locked down to duty sections and given a 96 hour liberty with a phone in muster but commands with aircraft or ships have to be prepared to sail or fly out at a moments notice.
    If your on a ship you may as well send family out now because the ships will head out Friday or Saturday and they'll insist all hands be aboard, squadrons will send aircraft away (probably to Texas, Florida, and NOLA) and secure personnel to get by as best they can, if your shore stationed then they'll wait untill friday night to give any word.
    That area has been lucky in the past and very few hurricanes have blown through so most commands rely on that luck to hold.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

@TBplus. that would all be fine well and good if I was navy, but im US Army on Ft. Story.

as a update, just found out this mor ning that they seem to hav ewoken up a bit, they cancelled the NBC/gas chamber they had planned for today.(not sure what battalion was thinking, just anounced in yesterday....) but as of today we are on hurricane prep, moving vehicals indoors, prepping generators and lightsets, prepping for making sand bags. bout damn time.

Alex
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Cat3-4 is bad-AND IRENE IS A BIG ONE AT THAT!
    Katrina was just a Cat 3 when it hit the Gulf Coast,and just a weak 3 strong 2 when it hit NOLA.
    What is your elevation- where your family actually lives?
    Does your area get street flooding from heavy rain or from the rivers around there?
    My impression is on the East Coast(except for the barrier islands) the elevation increases pretty quickly once you move away from the beaches
    Wind is bad, but water-storm surge and rain caused street flooding- is much worse.
    Good luck- lets hope Irene moves out to sea.
    Charlie
    PS- flashlights/batteries/ battery radio/water/bread/ peanut butter/canned milk/prescriptions/full gas tank/pet food(they can-and will- eat people food of course)gun/ammunition( trigger lock if young kids around)/juice like cranberry/grape/apple-stuff you don't need to put in a fridge/ice chest/ice(cheese cold cuts milk)
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Don't forget toilet paper, most people forget that one!:gasp:Your wife will love you when you pull out the roll of T/P.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Oh well then your screwed because I dont remember them ever evacuating, they always kept personnel behind to conduct civil defense and clean-up operations.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

another update, may be the last one for a while.

mandatory evac starts noon tomorrow. snagged 20 sandbags for the doors on the house. moving suff to seconed floor tonight/tomorrow morning. grabbing the cat, some food and scooting by 10am.

and some TP :-D

Alex
  10. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

Good luck man!! I'm a midwest guy so I've never had to deal with any of this so I can't help ya much! Just hope your home will be there when you get back and all loved ones will be in good hands!