Hurricane Preparation Tip

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Als09Sierra, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would Tie her up or get her out Fast..... Just came from Westchester you should see all the out of state Utility trucks heading over the Tappen Zee bridge 100's of them from all over..

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

At this point it's probably better to make sure she's got secure morings, a fully charged battery, good bilge pumps, is tarped and covered as good as can be, and double check the last insurance payment, if this storm plays out like they think she'll suffer just as much on land unless you can get her a long way inland.

Theres a convoy of a 250 power company repair trucks leaving North Texas in a couple hours headed to New York, they plan on driving as far as they can then laying over just outside what ever the disaster area ends up being to be dispatched for repairs.

Good luck to all on the coast I sure hope this thing just fizzles out and leaves the experts looking foolish.

3. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Im praying for everyone on the East coast. I was stuck at langley last year when Irene came through, luckily it wasnt bad for us just some rain and winds. This year im not able to be there for disaster relief team. Everyone get outta the way and be safe.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Thanks guys.. I passed the Mall in Paramus before Which is a staging area About 4 trucks there.. I may bring them some energy drink....

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

went down and looked at the waves a few times today, got a few pics and some videos. lots of rain, 40 + mph winds right now. shaking my truck when I was driving around.

Alex

6. Enkeiavalanche

Well at 9:45 PM Wind about 20-30MPH by me no rain yet....

7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Had to cover tahoe because she leaks in heavy rain. Also took some pics of waves.
    2012-10-28_17-58-23_132.jpg 2012-10-28_16-06-10_961.jpg

I live about 400 ft from the water, but on a hill so, if water is reaching me there might not be anything left of NYC and LI. Going to take more pics soon it began to rain hope to keep power.
    Did math it would take over 400,000,000+ cu ft of water in just Milford for it to get to my yard. On the whole east coast thats rediculous. Btw my house is above the flood zone it ends about halfway down my street. people on bottom of street had mandatory evacuation.

8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree, with these winds and the rush to get boats out, I might be safer on the water. My only concern is the timing of Sandy and how much surge we get. If the water rises too high at the wrong time, the floating docks will be floating away with all the boats attached. During Irene last year, they said about a 5' surge, and we had 2' of piling left. They're calling for a 6' to 11' surge this time and there's a full moon...I hear a little Fogerty playing.

9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

id post some pictures but I am unable to find my usb cable.

maybe tomorrow ill get some posted up. supposidly the worst of the rain and wind will be tomorrow. still blowing and raining here, and more is coming up from NC.

could be a interesting night.

Alex

10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Went down by water wow its high but not too bad its hitting peoples decks and patios on the water. Too dark for good pics, but will post what I got. Tomorrow during high tide I will get good pics.
    2012-10-28_23-05-10_715.jpg 2012-10-28_23-05-18_139.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBtuH8xjXRQ

Attached Files: