Hydraulic clutch issues

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by okysmokey911, Jan 15, 2010.

1. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

So I just did an engine rebuild and the truck is pretty much ready to go, but I can't get the hydraulic clutch to work. There is no pressure building up on the pedal. I have replaced both the slave and master cylinder and checked the lines for holes and leaks. I have bleed the system numerous times and I still cannot find the problem. Any suggestions?

2. Ethan17

Ethan17 New Member

when you say you have bled the system, how much time did you spend doing this? i ask because i just replaced my slave and it took nearly an hour to get a good pedal, and as far as i know this is very common for the trucks. what year is your truck, external or internal slave?

3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What you do is get a buddy to help you. You have to open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder( make the valve is pointing up). When you open it up, have your buddy continuous fill the reservoir until all the air is out of the system. These clutches are gravity fed, so there is no need of pumping the pedal to bleed it. If this doesn't solve your problem, look in the inspection hole and make sure everything is hooked up.

4. okysmokey911

It is an external slave cylinder. I spent about 30 minutes bleeding it, but I did not try the "gravity" method. My truck is a 93 k1500 5.7 l with the nv3500 transmission. If i get the hydraulic system to start working I am hoping that the clutch pedal is not going to be as stiff as it was before although a stiff clutch is better than no clutch.

5. Mean_Green_95

I know how you feel. I have a 95 C1500 with the 5.0 and the NV3500. When I replaced my slave cylinder it took me over and hour after I found out that it was a gravity fed system. Just make sure the valve cylinder is pointed up so that the air bubbles go up. I made the mistake of installing it pointing down, trapping the air bubbles.

6. Mean_Green_95

My pedal has always been stiff, but after I replace my clutch I hope it loosens up.

7. okysmokey911

The bleeder valve needs to be pointing up or the whole slave cylinder? Sorry for all the questions transmissions and clutch systems are totally foreign to me haha

8. Mean_Green_95

The slave cylinder needs to be bolted in place with the valve pointing up. Its no problem, I'm just glad I can help.

9. chadleyrw

chadleyrw New Member

i have a 1987 gmc suburban 2500 w/4spd. man hyd. clutch i had to rebuild my slave cylinder, the o ring inside was shot and i couldnt keep fluid in it to drive, it was real cheap. i had help and i opened the valve on the slave cylinder at least a hundred times and my friend was up pumping the clutch and filling the resevoir, and it seems like it should have been more pressure bleeding out with the valve open, i really spent a lot of time on this cause i did not want air in my system, but never the less after repeated tries i closed it and made sure it was topped off and sure enough it shifted bueatifully! like brand new!

10. Mean_Green_95

The repeated pumping of the pedal caused air to get into the line. These are gravity fed, like fuel systems on lawn mowers and small tractors, you just have to let gravity do the work.