Hydro-boost problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Taggart, Mar 26, 2007.

Newest Photos

1. Taggart

Taggart New Member

Approaching a stop sign after a bit of freeway driving and I lose my power steering and my brakes. I have to pump hard a few times to get them back. I'm guessing my hydro-boost is shot. '99 K2500 454. Best plan of action? I don't do much of my own work on cars. New hydro-boost? Can they be rebuilt? What can I expect to pay? Thanks. This has only happened a couple of times in about 1000 miles of driving, but it's a bit unnerving with an 8000# trailer behind.
    1 person likes this.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Understandably.

I'm thinking you're better off to just replace the booster.
    Do you have any problems with the steering? Just wondering since the booster is fed by the steering pump.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is why GM stopped doing this hydro-boost. I've experienced this first hand with my 99 Savanna/Trailer. I had to have pump replaced, lines and flush done. Expensive but worth it. Don't put your family in peril, get it looked at right away. BEFORE you get hurt!
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ya i would say replace the pump first if it is affecting the power steering to.

Also could be dirt in the fluid, when you replace pump flush the lines.
  5. Taggart

Taggart New Member

No problems with steering under normal conditions. Is the pump separate from the booster and will both have to be replaced? Thanks for the help.
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The pump is separate.
    I can't believe that I missed the part about losing your steering also.
    I would say check your fluid levels. You have a cooler for the steering fluid. I wonder if your fluid is dirty, or your cooler is clogged up.
    I would say dump the existing fluid, and flush the system really well, before you change any parts.
  7. Ragtp66

Ragtp66 New Member

Does your power steering fluid have an odd color? I have not experienced the "failure" that you have yet but the color of my fluid is a kinda yellowy mustard color and seems to be foamy most of the time. The other issue I have is if you are stopped and trying to turn the steering wheel it will only go like a 1/4 of a turn without having to really muscle it. Also makes a noise like fluid being forced through a line that you here while steering but as soon as you touch the brake pedal its stops. I am kind of thinking the accumulator inside the hydroboost is failing which is giving me all the grief. Just wanted to see if you had any of the same symptoms.

thanks
  8. Taggart

Taggart New Member

Symptoms

Thought I had this thing whipped when we discovered a faulty wheel bearing sensor assembly in the right front. Replaced same and thought problem to be gone, but on a recent 700 mile trip, the original symptoms revisited 3 times, all three when coming off freeway speeds and slowing for offramp. Brakes fail and power steering fails for just a moment. Pumping rapidly seems to get them back. I nearly missed one offramp this way. Luckily I was not pulling the trailer on these occasions. That's it for me, though. Travel season is upcoming and I've a lot of mountains to cross. Tomorrow am going to tear the whole thing down and hopefully solve this problem. My fluid is dark and haven't noticed "foaming", nor any of ragtp66 symptoms. Will keep you posted. In searching for a solution to this problem am finding several other little problems. I guess you could call this an upside...until I run out of $$$.
  9. Taggart

Taggart New Member

Update

Safety of my family being foremost of considerations...I now have replaced booster unit, power steering pump and master cylinder. Off to pick up my trailer tomorrow and drag it over a few Utah mountains. Will let you know if the problem is gone. If it is, I still will not know exactly where the problem was. Exasperating!!! Fluid was a little heavy and a LOT of sludge in the MC, so we'll see.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Hard bugger to chase down. Losing steering and braking power can be very dangerous, obviously...be safe.