1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hydrolocking due to CAI?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Sierraowner5.3, May 9, 2011.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

this hasnt happened to me (thank the lord) but ive been reading about how a CAI can cause engine to hydrolock much easier due to the open nature of CAI. anyone know anything about this? kidna hs me worried because FT. Story has lots of standing water everytime it rains.

Alex
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I guess if you get in deep enough water a CAI with hydro lock a FEW seconds before a factory airbox.
  3. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

But your talking bout off roading thru that water rite??? Thanks for your service!!!!
  4. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Depending on how high your ride is, you should just about never encounter hydrolock on a truck unless there is 3'-4' of water on the road or you drive it in to a pond. On low sports cars where the CAI bends down towards the inner fender, you can have that problem but on a truck where the CAI is high up on the motor you shouldn't have to worry.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

thats what im saying, sometimes the puddles do get that deep or deeper along side the road.

i dont do any off roading in mud and water, and dont plan to, not on any regular basis anyways.

i may look at putting some sort of baffle plate in.

Alex
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

with the K&N's you can get a prefilter that will stop most water from going into the filter...
  7. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I'd say save your money and just don't drive in deep water lol. Simple/cheap solution.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

I just got my July '11 Off-Road Magazine and they have a article that involved a Colorado that blasted through deep water with a CAI, two holes in the block. Just use your head when driving in deep water.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

not to necro this to much.

buddy of mine thats in my unit went thru a deep puddle in his dodge. Hydrolocked, hole in the block, and hes unsure if hes gonna get a crate engine or total the truck.

corse this is after we spent and hour and a half pulling plugs to try to get the engine to turn over.

if nothing else I learned a few things.

A. deep water and high speed - bad things happen.
    B. Dodge engines (5.7 hemi) suck to change plugs on
    C. now I know how to change plugs on a dodge.

lol.

Alex
  10. silveradotrailblazer

Did your buddy try claiming the engine on his insurance? Sometimes they cover it.